Does cronometer take bioavailability into account?

Fiber lowers the bioavailability of more than just carbs. In fact, because of this, little more than 50-60% of the protein found in whole beans are bioavailable for our bodies to digest. Fat also is less bioavailable due to having a lot of fiber. So does Cronometer deal with this bioavailability factor at all?

Comments

• I guess I should clarify " Fat also is less bioavailable due to having a lot of fiber."

What I meant is IF you have a lot of fiber

• Hi LucyT,

Researchers try to take into account the bioavailability of nutrients in our diet when setting the Recommended Nutrient Intakes. Even though you may not digest and absorb 100% of the nutrients you consume, if you hit your daily nutrient targets, you are getting what you need.

The analysis of foods in our highest quality databases (USDA and NCCDB) measures the quantity of each nutrient present in the food. Prepared (cooked) foods do include a nutrient retention factor that accounts for losses that may occur during processing of the food. However, we don't have the data yet to include a specific factors for mixed meals with all the possible combinations.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi @LucyT ,

When we compare someone eating plant-based to someone eating a mixed diet, the total availability of protein in their diet is ~10% less. I advise my plant-based clients to aim for a protein intake of 1 g of protein per kg per day minimum. I typically find this is easy to meet, provided there aren't a lot of dietary restrictions.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer