Options

How should I set up my Dynamic Macronutrient Targets for my gain weight goal?

Hello folks,

I am new here, still exploring cronometer and all of its features. What I need to do right now is set up my profile which helps me to reach my goal. I am 24, 175 cm height, 63 kg weight. My goal is 70 kg weight. My work is sedentary, every day I am trying to do some activity - weightlifting, swiming etc. I am not sure about how to set up my preferred ratio of calories. Please help me with this issue and explain how should I look at this numbers if you can. Thank you a lot and have a nice day!

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

@hotovi

Welcome to Cronometer!

It's important to distinguish between healthy vs. unhealthy weight gain. Some of the athletes I work with see the need to gain weight as a free pass to down tubs of Ben and Jerry's and eat as many Mars Bars as they want ;).

To gain weight, specifically muscle mass, you need to increase your calorie intake by 500-1000 per day. Keep in mind that if you are not exercising (i.e. lifting weights), this weight gain will turn up as fat, rather than muscle (we need to use muscles to build muscle).

Personally, I would keep your ratios around:
    ~50% carb
    ~30% fat
    ~20% protein

You need carbs and protein to be high to ensure that insulin is being released, which is an anabolic (body-building) hormone.

At meals, focus on increasing the calories by adding plenty of avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, and healthy olive oil. And don't forget to still eat your veggies!

Lastly, aim to eat 5-6 meals throughout the day. If you are getting really full, a smoothie is a great way to get a low of calories in, without making you feel like you are always eating.

Best of luck!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers