Options

What are suitable macro ratios for different age groups and different activity levels?

Using Cronometer, I've recently discovered what my macro ratios look like. I'm a 72 year old male who is fairly active. I'm using a WFPB vegan diet. My ratios are 15% protein, 55% carb, 30% fat. I seem to have issues getting enough lysine but the other essential amino acids are fine. Also have issues with choline, but most of the micronutrients are doing just fine. But I'm new to macro ratios and would be interested to hear what others think about them -- what other people try to achieve with their particular macro ratios.

Comments

• Options

@Henry_98

Your macronutrients look great, but I'd probably encourage you to include more lysine rich foods in your diet, as this is considered the limiting amino acid on a vegan diet (meaning that your protein status could be comprised if you chronically lack lysine).

Good sources include:

• pulses
    • seitan
    • quinoa
    • amaranth
    • pistachios
    • pumpkin seeds
    • soy foods

Choline needs are not fully clear. We don't know exactly how much choline is needed per day, but to be safe, try to include a variety of the following foods:

• chickpeas, lentils
    • Brussels sprouts
    • broccoli
    • peanut butter
    • quinoa
    • soymilk

Note that your choline intake may not look higher since this nutrient is often not tracked by USDA or other databases.

Regarding your macronutrient question, acceptable ranges are as follows (Source: Institute of Medicine):

1-3 years: 45-65% C; 5-20% P; 30-40% F
    4-18 years: 45-65% C; 10-30% P; 25-35% F
    19+ years: 45-65% C; 10-35% P; 20-35% F

Happy to answer any further questions you may have!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Susan, Great response and very useful information. Thank you. I've kind of thrown in the towel on lysine and started to eat a small amount of turkey again to address that problem of consuming a consistently subpar lysine. So now I'm an "almost vegan". The small amount of meat is specifically for the lysine deficiency. Henry

• Options

@Henry_98

I think including small amounts of animal protein won't undo the benefits of your plant-based diet. Whatever approach you use, it must be sustainable for the long haul.

Best of luck!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer