Daily Activity (Garmin) - what does it correspond to on Garmin Connect?

I am trying to determine a) where this is pulling from on the Garmin side, and b) if it is duplicating anything already accounted for.

I currently have Cronometer connected to Withings for weight, body fat, sleep, heart rate, body temp, pulse wave velocity. I also have it connected to Garmin for Import Activity & Heart Rate. I once had it connected to Google Fit, but that was definitely messing with my daily numbers and double counting, so that has been disconnected.

I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR as my main fitness tracker, and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the daily activity number is coming from, either in minutes or calories burned. It never matches anything on Garmin Connect, and in at least one instance it shows not as burned calories, but consumed. I do see my manual activities show up as expected.

I've also got an activity level selected in cronometer, which is why I wonder if this is actually duplicating that.

From what I can tell, the daily activity numbers are bundled with the manual activities, so is the best thing just to delete that when it pops up in my diary?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• I wonder about this, too! Hope someone replies.

• Hi Rheimbro,

Would you mind emailing support@cronometer.com so we can look into this more?
    Could you include some screenshots of Garmin Connect app on these days so we can see what your Garmin app is showing for some of these days? Especially the day where it showed up at calories consumed instead of burned.

In general, we recommend setting your activity level to none when you are using an activity tracker to log your daily activity to avoid double counting these calories in Cronometer.

Thanks!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Any update to this? I am interested in the solution as well!

• Hi cc887,

We can help you better by taking a look at your account - would you mind emailing us at support@cronometer.com with some screenshots of your Garmin app so we can compare with Cronometer?

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• I can send you screenshots, but the only activities that show are what I specifically timed for the day (cardio, strength training, walking). There is nothing about "daily activity". For example, for today, my cronometer shows "-154 calories Daily Activity (Garmin)" in addition to the 3 activities showing in my Garmin account (cardio, strength training, walking).

Which screen shots would you like to see?

• edited April 2020

As a follow up, I do see the # in Garmin, but it doesn't break it down as to what it is. I think this is a Garmin issue and not a Cronometer issue.

However, I did want to ask about setting the activity level to NONE in Cronometer. Does that mean that the calories will only be calculated based on BMR + any exercise coming from Garmin?

If I set the activity level to something else (moderate, for example), does that mean it double calculates calories burned?

• With your activity level set to none, your calories burned will include BMR + activity calories imported from Garmin only.

With your activity level set to something else, you will have BMR + activity level + calories burned from Garmin. Cronometer will try to subtract some calories burned based on the amount of time reported from Garmin to avoid double counting. If you are wearing your device to track workouts rather than throughout the day, you could experiment with a different activity level setting. Monitor your progress to see if you need to make any adjustments to your energy budget.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Can I piggy back on this because I'm not really sure if this is making sense to me. This is what my Cronometer shows today:

We can see the 2 hours of exercise that I did this morning, but then there is also a listing for Daily Activity of around 60 mins but with 0 calories burnt.

My Garmin shows this:

I don't see a breakdown of Daily Activity, though I do see the combined Active Calories for all my workouts (even if they don't add up 100%).

Is the Daily Activity (Garmin) the Resting Calories component?

• Midday update but unfortunately still doesn't make a lot of sense?

• Side note: not trying to understand any of the calorie stuff from Garmin, because I've come to realise it's wildly inaccurate and I pay no attention to the Daily Goal or what have you, but just where the number of -131 calories for the Daily Activity in the Cronometer side comes from.

• edited April 2021

Hi koreyjames,

The Daily Activity from Garmin includes calories burned above your RMR that is also not included in one of your workouts. This includes things like walking around while you go about your day. Though Garmin includes both activity and workouts in the Active Calories number in their dashboard, we separate it out so you can see each workout. The Daily Activity will update throughout the day as you get more movement, too.

We don't include the RMR calories from Garmin - we use our own calculation for that (the pink portion of the Calories Burned circle in Cronometer).

I hope that helps!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Solid answer as always Karen - thank you!