Options

A Question About Snack Bars

I'm confused about how to decide what is a good, nutritionally balanced snack bar. What are the criteria to judge? Amount of added sugar? Protein? Fiber? I read recently in a health newsletter from Cleveland Clinic that most snack bars are simply candy bars. One bar that I like is Nature Valley Oat Bar which has whole oat grains as the first listed ingredient and has 11 g of sugar/2 g of fiber/ 3 g of protein per serving.

Comments

• Options

Hi @Nemo

This depends on your goals....

If you are interested in losing/maintaining weight, I would look for one that is low in sugar/high in protein. In general, I like ones that are:
    150-200 calories per bar
    15-20 g of protein
    ~4-5 g fibre
    <3 g sugar

A personal favourite of mine is Simply Protein.

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

My primary food concerns are getting protein, while limiting calories, sodium, and saturated fat. For assessing nutrition labels, I convert my targets to simplified ratios between Calories and the nutrients I'm interested that use the units present on the label.

• Protein (g) >= Calories / 20
    • Sodium (mg) <= Calories
    • Saturated Fat (g) <= Calories/100 (if there are any trans fats listed I include them with saturated fat)
  • Options

There is no such thing as a healthy snack or snack bar, but some are "healthier" than others if you absolutely have to eat a snack bar than go for a low or zero carb snack bar with high amounts of fat and maybe some protein. No unnatural ingredients, preferably only meat and some salt.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Many thanks for that complete information!