A few days a week with more potassium than sodium ratio

Is it fairly safe to have a few days a week with slightly more potassium than sodium in the ideal ratio? I know I'm not saying that very well. I eat a lot of winter squash which has a lot of potassium and if I occasionally also eat a potato (something new for me) it pushes the ratios towards needing more sodium. But I can't have more sodium as I'm already at my limit or even a bit more for the day.

I know the amounts are general suggestions for optimal health but at the same time I don't want to hurt myself from getting too much potassium. I need the calories from the squash though.

Comments

• Percents for day:

224% magnesium
    271% potassium
    120% sodium

Potassium:Sodium meter is off the green a little ways towards sodium.

• edited November 2020

Also asparagus which I eat has a significant amount of potassium.
    I'd need a teaspoon of salt on this day to make the meter stay in the green zone.

• I'd also like to know the answer to this as well. I'm in a similar situation.

• @butterfly

As a dietitian, I would always prefer an individual's potassium:sodium ratio to favour potassium. Science hasn't yet figured out the perfect ratio but we do know that diets high in potassium are generally associated with better health outcomes. I'd zero in on your millagram intake of sodium and potassium as well, trying to get potassium as close to 4700 mg as possible, while keeping sodium to less than 2300 mg.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer