So lost on the calorie budget.

I know this question has been asked multiple times but I’m still completely lost. I don’t have that purple box, not sure if that’s an old version or what. Should I be looking for a negative number at the end? Or is the number saying I have 247 calories to burn. Please help me understand. What am I “over”?

Comments

• It means you have 247 calories left to eat for the day. Burned is a confusing term. The circle (kcal) means total calories you can have for the day with whatever settings you put in based on height/ weight/age. The purple is how many you have gone through aka "burned" which also includes your deficit( which is what they subtract based on your weight loss goals. Yours is -998). If you were just trying to maintain your current figure/weight there would probably be little or no deficit subtracted.

• ok. So I other words, as long as my kcal, the circle, stays in the negative? I should be losing weight?

• edited February 2021

ignore

• Why does my kcal burned already show that I have “burned” (purple circle is almost complete) before I even start my day??

• Hi @Vlr

Cronometer estimates how much energy you need for the whole day so that you can plan your meals with that in mind.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited March 2021

Just stumbled on this. It's telling you that you are over your "goal", which seems to be set to 1045 calories per day. That's a pretty aggressive goal. I don't use the goal; If you're under 2043 you should lose weight. How fast you lose will depend on how much under your burn you are. A goal of only 1,000 calories a day isn't sustainable; if you're looking to lose 5 lbs for a wedding that's 1 thing.

In "theory" 3500 calories is a lb (not really the case, but I digress). So if you said you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, thats a 7000 calorie deficit so your "goal" would have to be 1000 calories under your burn per day. So that screen is telling you that you have eaten too much to achieve what's theoretically required to lose 2 lbs per week. What you eat will change that, and also your burn will be different every day based on a number of factors. Eating a whole chicken and a whole chocolate easter bunny may be the same number of calories, but the chicken gets metabolized much differently than the candy.