Strategy to grow database?

Hi guys, I like the app so far and I am a MFP convert. However, the dB has still a long way to go. What is your strategy to get the dB more robust. I was searching today for some Swiss Chalet food that wasn't there.

Please let me know. Just wondering where the balance is between accuracy vs. robustness of the food dB.

Love the app so far.

Thanks

Answers

• For branded products, it is pretty easy to scan the barcode, then take the pictures of the packaging to add items to the database using the mobile app. Cronometer seems pretty quick to review and add these to the database so that others can use them. They won't add anything to the public database that they cannot source published data for (either government mandated labeling or research lab data). Cronometer doesn't control what goes into the lab tested data sets, they just use that data. You can be pretty confident that the foods in the database are accurately listed - a key reason I decided to come here from MFP.

• I wouldn't call nearly a year "pretty quick".

https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/3858/11-month-backlog-on-new-foods

• Perhaps I've just happened to have some foods show up sooner because someone else added them earlier than I did, so I thought they were added quickly.

• There are some inaccuracies.

For example, I made sugar free jello, strawberry flavor. Before I ate the jello, I typed in instead of barcode scanning and noticed my carb macro was way over the limit. I gave my jello to my husband, in near tears bc I thought the jello was ok to eat.

The macros for the jello I typed in are as follows, you can try this as well...

Jello Powder, Flavored, Sugar Free:

Protein 39.8g

NET Carbs 24.0g

Fat 0g

I scanned the barcode, determined to partake in some jello and got these results

Jell-o, Low Calorie Gelatin Dessert, Strawberry

Protein 45.4g

Net carbs 0.0g

Fat 0.0g

I got to snack on some Jell-o w a dollop of homemade whipped cream..

Moral of the story....Check, recheck those macros and scan the barcodes!

• Hi @A_Keto_Newbie

The first food "Jello Powder, Flavored, Sugar Free" is for the powder rather than the prepared Jello. I hope that helps you have more confidence in the analyzed data too!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Ohhh gosh, yes it does! When I saw that huge spike on the carbs I almost cried, LoL. I gave it my husband who ate it for me. I scanned the barcode and got a vastly different result. I got to eat some Jell-o.

Thank you so much for the clarification...