Cronometer not sending food data to Google Fit?

DBBDBB
edited January 2020 in Bug Reports

I use Cronometer to (besides logging my food) send this information through Google Fit so it can be shown in another app called Strong.

This works fine when I use MyFitnessPal (which I absolutely hate with a passion).

However, when using Cronometer, it doesn't seem to work.

Google Fit unfortunately doesn't seem to have any way in the app to see your food logged, but it does definitely receive and store this information because it has successfully pushed all of this info to another app for me.

Has anyone else been able to share their food data from Cronometer through Google Fit and have it display in a third app? Also, does anyone know if any way at all to view food information in Google Fit? I cannot seem to find a way to do this at all.

Also, is there a way to make sure that Google Fit does not send any data BACK to Cronometer? I want data to pass only from Cronometer TO Google Fit (not the other way around). Because at current it seems to be syncing two-ways and that means I get 2 weight readings. Cronometer could you please give us an option for only one-way sync (i.e. export from Cronometer only)

EDIT: @Hilary

I found this post from you last April: https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/comment/7795/#Comment_7795

It's quite unclear because you use the word import twice. Am I to understand that Cronometer does not export any data to Google Fit at all? If I am correct, why is this the case and can you please change it? This is a serious loss of functionality as it means that Cronometer cannot use Google Fit as a medium to pass through a lot of data to third-party apps.

Can you please make this a big priority as it means that Cronometer is literally unable to pass its data anywhere outside of its own app... it makes using your app for logging food pointless if I wish to share that information with another app.

Comments

• Hi @DBB our current connection with Google fit does not allow data to be exported from Cronometer. We do import data from Google fit.
    Thanks for your request I will certainly add it to our list for prioritization - we have had this request before and it is on our radar!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited May 2020

Is there any update on this? You guys are great at tracking nutrition and all, but you aren't an aggregation platform. That is Google Fit's job. Please update the app so it can send food data to Google Fit.

• Hi Ricotter,

No update at this time. I'll add your feedback to bump up this feature request!

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Thanks Karen, I hope you mean that. I love Cronometer because of the micronutrient tracking, but I much prefer having all my data in an aggregation platform, so without this service I'm forced to use a competitor app that feeds data into Google Fit or Samsung Health.

• Hello,

I would like to see this option also. Cronometer is great tool for tracking micronutrients, but interface is outdated, so I would like to see data from Cronometer in the Google Fit.

• Hello,

I am also very interested in this functionality.
    Are there any updates?
    What is your outlook for implementing this feature?

Cronometer is the best nutrition app I've found thus far, but this missing functionality is a big demerit as it prevents me from easily using my information to see how my nutrition habits are affecting or being affected by other health factors or events.

Please update us on this feature.

• Same here!
    I'm very interested in cronometer implementing food diary sync to Google Fit.
    Unfortunately there is no visible progress with this issue by now....

• This is not a feature that is currently under development. Thanks for your feedback so we can take that into consideration for our future projects.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• You guys are useless. It's one of the most used apps for the entire Android platform. It is completely inexcusable that you don't have this integration.

• I hear that you feel strongly about bringing nutrition data to Google Fit @Ricotter
    While we're not working on it in the immediate future, we reprioritize projects when we get more customer support, or someone here on the team to champions the cause.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• I'd also really like to have two way data transfer between Google fit and cronometer. At the moment I have to manually add data via another app to get my nutrition information so it can aggregate with other data. Its really poor that you don't allow this because cronometer is one of the best nutrition apps on the market. Most if your competitors already fully integrate with Google Fit.

• @Karen_Cronometer any update on this?

This feels like core functionality for a sync module.

Please add my +1 to the sea of users asking for this feature to be fully implemented.

• edited June 2022

For every one person requesting this, there are 1000 others leaving Cronometer for competitors who properly sync data. It is simply too useful of a feature to leave out, and the *only* value proposition that Cronometer has to health tracking ecosystems.

Unless you're expecting to sync to every possible fitness company api and house it, it's in your best interest to make info available to Google fit (even if just calories and macros), if you want Cronometer subscriptions to continue.

I've been rooting for Cronometer for a very long time, and hope you implement features like this quickly out of my own selfish desire for your sites survival (which depends on you creating enough cash flow to keep the lights on, via keeping up with your competition on basic features like this).

@Karen_Cronometer @Hilary - interested in your official stance as to why this isn't a high priority in the roadmap.

• Will echo the statements above, just found Chronometer and spent the last couple of hours updating it to match my much rougher Google Calendar so that I could get a detailed Calories and Macro Breakdown.

It's certainly useful, but if it can't export the Data to Google Fit in Turn, I may have to move to a different nutrition app/website instead.

• Same. I have a paid subscription, but my work just switched to VirginPulse. I lose earned points/money if I can't show I am calorie tracking everyday. (lame but it is what it is)
    They don't support Cronometer, but do support Google Fit. I much prefer Cronometer to MyFitnessPal, but if the integrations aren't there I will need to re-explore my tracker choice.

• @AINH

Found a partial workaround, you can sync Cronometer to Fitbit and from there use FittoFit to get it over to Google Fit.

Don't actually need a wearable to do this as you can simply make an account, but it will only be giving you the total calorie count rather than any sort of break down, so not sure if your work would accept this.

• @Raj oh nice, thank you! I will try that tonight

• @AINH Glad I could help, just keep in mind that it mostly only updates going forward once you start. I had issues even syncing the week prior to me starting, but having been doing it for the past few days it has mostly been correctly syncing throughout the day to the proper calorie count.

• Unfortunately the Fitbit work around did not work for me. Fitbit only allows Google Fit to pull calories expended, not nutrition. You can see it when you go into the permissions when linking. And Virgin Pulse does not pull the info directly from Fitbit either.

• Yea, I mentioned earlier that it only allows total calories, it's unfortunate that Virgin Pulse can't pull the info directly from Fitbit either.

I'm sorry to hear that the workaround won't be enough for you, thanks for mentioning your details as well, all we can do is hope Cronometer will eventually allow a direct exporting to Google Fit.

• Its been many years now since people have requested this very important feature. I really want to continue to use this app but not being able to send nutrition values to google fit is a deal breaker.

• +1 for export to Google Fit please - this seems like an essential feature to aggregate the data your app focuses on so fantastically. I would 100% upgrade to gold paid for, but not without this feature at least being on the roadmap I'm afraid

• Also adding my two cents for what it's worth. This seems like both a very small and very critical missing feature.

How can a feature request be properly created for this? If there are no plans to get this onto the roadmap I can't see myself continuing to use the app, as much as I like it. It simply is the only thing not fitting in with the ecosystem at this point.

• +1. This is especially true as the google fit app has improved how it presents and uses nutrition info. It's great that cronometer can pull so much data from google fit (including weight and heart rate), but share and share alike! I am contemplating moving to cronometer (and paying for gold) but it's tough to make the leap when — after 3 years — there is still no clear answer as to whether or if it is on the roadmap.

• It's now 3 years later and still this is not a function of Cronometer.

This is very disappointing. I was looking for an alternative to MyFitnessPal and was hopeful Cronometer was it. MFP does share their (i.e. nutrition) data back to Google Fit.

I find it very disingenuous that Cronometer happily takes data from Google Fit for it's own benefit but refuses to share data back. This in my opinion is very selfish and dishonest.

• I just found MyNetDiary which has (i.e. export) sync options for both Google Fit and Health Connect. Both send nutrition info to Google Fit. The latter seems to send a few more bits of information.

Unfortunately for Cronometer it looks like MyNetDiary better meets my needs in this regard.

• Add another one. Has there been any update or is this even in the pipeline?

• Same question here -- Year 4 -> Any Updates?