Options

Ketogenic Diet: Protein Requirements

Hi - Quick question about protein requirements on Keto. I have completed several Keto calculators and most protein requirements for me are approx 30-40g higher than cronometer. I'm new to this and want to make sure I have my macros correct. I'm struggling because all the calculators ask the same questions but drive different results. The significant difference is with cronometer and the other calculators. How do I know what is correct? What should I use?

Background: I have set-up my profile on chronometer to reflect the ketogenic diet with 20g of net carbs per day.

Thank you!
JC

Comments

• Options

@Fintop

I don't typically work with keto diets in my practice, but believe individuals typically set the macro targets at 70% fat, 5% net carb, with remainder coming from protein. Personally, I advise people to ensure that protein intake is at the RDA or at least 1 g per kg of ideal body weight (~.5 g per lb of body weight). One of the unintentional side effects of eating keto is a loss of lean body mass. As such, it's important to get enough protein, as well as engage in strength-training exercises.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer