Options

Hello & Help!

Hi to everyone. New on the forum & needing some encouragement & advice. I’ve been on this for a few weeks now & lost 16lbs so very pleased overall but....it says that to lose 2lb a week I must have a deficit of 998 calories a day. I have stuck to this rigidly but for the last three weeks I have lost a total of 1lb which is making me feel like heading for a chocolate bar, a bag of crisps & a big slice of cake to console myself! Anyone else noticed this? I am used to losing less the longer it goes on but I was hoping that if I stuck to the right numbers, the weight would keep going down. So disappointed 😔
Cheer me up someone!!!

Comments

• Options

Hi @Helena
    This number is a suggestion, and a guideline for weightloss. To ensure that you are healthy and successful on your weight loss journey, I would reccomend seeking advice from a registered Healthcare Professional. You can browse Professionals in your area on Our Help Page -> Find a Professional.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Hi Hilary. I suppose that a slow weight loss is much better for me & I am eating very healthily now so it’s all good. I guess we all want to lose our weight yesterday!

• Options

@Helena

Eating too few calories can alter your metabolism and actually interfere with your body's ability to lose weight. Losing 16 lbs is no small feat and you should be very proud of the behaviour changes that led to this weight loss!

A few things to consider that can help put your weight loss into perspective:

• It's really not helpful to weigh yourself more than once a week since daily fluctuations are common. Look for month-to-month trends, rather than week-to-week.
    • In general, avoid eating fewer than 1200 calories since it's very difficult to meet nutrient needs and you are likely to alter your metabolism (this is even too low for most people)
    • Focus on increasing your activity - increase the intensity, duration, or frequency of exercising
    • Let go of the numbers and focus on health behaviours. Weight changes very slowly, which is actually the best way to lose weight. Weight change is also the outcome of behaviour change. As long as you continue to engage in healthy habits and are eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight, your weight will continue to slowly decrease. Be patient and kind to yourself! :)

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer