Cooked Recipe Weight vs Explode Recipe Energy

Thought the new "Cooked Recipe Weight" feature is brilliant and heavily used it in place of the old negative water trick, but I've also just discovered a bug.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Add a bunch of foods into a recipe, e.g. 50g apple, 50g banana. Total original recipe weight is 100g.
  2. Set cooked weight to 50g.
  3. Add the full recipe to the diary. Energy is 295.17kj (or whatever equivalent kcal).
  4. Explode the recipe and highlight the apple and banana items.
  5. Energy of the exploded foods became 147.59kj, which is only 50g of the original recipe energy.

Expected Outcome: Exploded foods items' total energy should match the cooked recipe's total energy, not by the original recipe's weight.

I don't keep my old recipes so it's a bit of a shame that I can't fix my old records. I've also overfed my 1 year old a little... Oh well. :/

Comments

• Thanks for reporting this Vickie! You're right, the energy should stay the same for your recipe not matter how you've adjusted the weight or whether you've exploded your recipe.

We're investigating so we can get this fixed. Are you seeing this on web, mobile or both? Could you send a screenshot of the exploded values in your diary?
    Have you seen it every time your exploded a recipe?

Thanks!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited November 2021

We're investigating so we can get this fixed. Are you seeing this on web, mobile or both? Could you send a screenshot of the exploded values in your diary?
    Have you seen it every time your exploded a recipe?

I am seeing this on both the web app (not beta; both gold and free accounts) and mobile apps (Android phone app, latest version beta). The discrepancy is noticed every time I explode a recipe with a cooked weight that is different from the original recipe weight, whether it's higher or lower. I typically use custom recipes and foods within a recipe to be exploded, but the issue can be replicated with foods from the NCCDB.

I took this partial screenshot when I did the example with the apple and pear:

Top row is the recipe unexploded (it doesn't show but full recipe is 100g with cooked weight 50g, as I listed in the original example). Highlighted values are the exploded values.

• Thanks very much!

I found a clue - I can repro when I add a serving size before adjusting the weight. Can you try adjusting the weight first? That might be a work around while we fix this.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I played around and found the workaround to work if the recipe is serving-based. For weight-based recipes the issue seems to persist. I have set all my recipes to weight-based because with it I can add portions of recipes and easily switch between units (e.g. add 1 full weight-based recipe, switch unit to gram, the number converts to the corresponding gram), whereas serving-based recipes can't (add 1 full serving-based recipe, switch unit to gram, and it will say 1g regardless of recipe weight).

The negative water trick will still work so I will be all right for now. 👍