Omega 3 - Please split EPA DHA!

Hey there, I had been eating chia seeds and I was happily watching my Omega 3 levels reach the targets on my chronometer app. After 1 year of false satisfaction I have learned that chia seeds actually have almost none of the necessary EPA & DHA and I was fooling my self.

Please extend Omega 3 to include EPA & DHA sub-levels?

Comments

• Please! ❤❤❤

• Yes please add this option

• When we have enough valid data available for any nutrient we do not currently track we will add it as an option. Unfortunately, we don't have the data for any further breakdown of Omega 3 from our primary sources for our database. We do not analyse nutrients here at Cronometer, therefore we must rely upon these sources for our database.
    You can learn more about from where we source our nutrient data, in our User Manual article: Data Sources

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hilary- as you know many people include supplements in Cronometer which is an area where EPA & DHA is often differentiated. I would definitely pay for this feature (along with differentiation of vitamin K types)

• I guess I'll throw my 2¢ in and say that I would really appreciate and pay for this too. The very article linked to this about how important the differences are with DHA/EPA is over ALA, so even without primary sources of specific food, there's plenty of supplements that break it down. I eat a lot of flaxseed, and I thought I was getting all of my omega 3s before I realized the difference.

• Yes! Please! ✨🙏✨

• Splitting EPA vs DHA would be great!

• In the meantime, how about just splitting dietary (non-supplement) Omega-3 into plant versus non-plant (or seafood) sources? That alone would give a general indication to help a person track their intake a little better. Thanks.

• edited March 2022

Today, March 2022, I would like to add my support to the original EPA/DHA feature request of 2018 by fellow user, dmskn.

Many supporters of this request have pointed out the overwhelming nutritional value of EPA/DHA over ALA in Omega 3 and so this is a very very important request. For most, the ALA component is next to useless, not entirely, but next to it.

What I do now is to hack my plant based Omega 3 food sources to ZERO Omega 3 and leave my EPA/DHA sources alone. It's a mildly tedious workaround, but now almost all of my Omega 3 tracking is mostly EPA/DHA.

• I would also like to see the EPA/DHA feature request of 2018 by fellow user, dmskn.

• edited September 2022

Sept 2022: You could provide 2 fields under Omega 3 - available for user entered custom "FOODS" data (EPA and DHA) where we can at least put our supplements' data (ie Dr Fuhrman Mega Epa Capsules Omega 3 Fatty Acids- 1 gr. EPA 662 DHA 250 ). We don't need you to tell us which foods are doing what ....for now. The sources you have now aren't accurate anyway. I had to search and seach to find flaxseed meal with Omega 3 and I think I ended up creating a custom food.

• edited April 2023

I agree that this should be added! I realize that it's nearly impossible to get the EPA/DHA data for every single food item. So I think a reasonable compromise is what a few people suggested, splitting seafood and non-seafood omega 3 sources.

It would involve some manual work (maybe can even leverage AI) to sort the foods into those categories, but I think it'd be worth it, since omega 3 as a metric in chronometer right now is kind of useless because it's tainted with ALA sources.

• Yes please, I am waiting on this as well

• Yes pleaseeeee add this feature! I want to make sure I hit my DHA daily as a vegan this is very important

• And you can just do what you have with other nutrients and say "our data is very limited" and we can make custom foods/supplements to track for ourselves

• Hello

Im doctor kettani, i see all comment, I would say that usda database give EPA, and DHA for animal products for exemple :

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/175139/nutrients

the conversion of ALA plants to EPA and DHA is very low thats why they put 0,

In my opinion you can add EPA and DHA to your application cause in some diseases we need one or two gram of it and there is a OMS recommandations for minimal Take.

For Who interest to omega 3,6 ratio , I can say that the studies are doing on ALA (omega3) and LA(omega6) , 1/5, and the application can help on it, but I suggest to add the approximative ratio, like this cronometer will be in the arms of science.

Thank you

• It's been five years, and people are clearly still interested- is there any plans to implement this?