How to increase caloric intake but reduce fat?

almost all of the calories I eat are from fat but im still eating at a caloric deficit of 900 or more every day. for the most part these are "healthy" fats, but i was told i need to reduce my general fat intake due to high cholesterol. i cannot eat gluten or most grains due to food allergies, and i am a flexitarian (in my daily diet, eggs, milk, and sometimes seafood are ok).

what are some non-meat, non-grain calorie dense foods i can add to my diet that get as little calories from fat as possible? moderately processed food is ok, with the caveat that im very low income.

Answers

• Eat more fruits and potatoes, which give you lots of carbohydrates. Potatoes have no fat of their own. Except for avocados, fruits have no fat.

• If you're looking for more energy dense grains, I'd look at buckwheat, amaranth, millet, and quinoa (Bulk Barn is a great place to purchase these GF grains). Textured veg protein (TVP) would be a great added source of protein. Beans and lentils are also quite low in fat and are wonderful at lowering LDL cholesterol.

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer