Low Iron

How does a vegan meet requirements besides eating the vegan foods recommended? I eat plenty of dark leafy greens daily and incorporate mushrooms frequently etc, but can't meet or get close to daily requirement. I'm considering and researching a vegan iron supplement. Any suggestions will be appreciated (other than suggesting consuming meat/dairy). Yes, I will have my iron levels tested. I'd much rather meet requirement with food than supplementation, but not having any success.

Comments

• @Phoenix4life

To obtain adequate iron it's important to include plant protein foods throughout the day. Vegetables will just not meet your iron needs. I typically recommend vegans eat soy foods/seitan at least 1x per day, along with 1 cup beans. Other food sources include pumpkin seeds, some grains like quinoa, COOKED spinach, and blackstrap molasses. You could also use a "lucky iron fish" to make "iron water" (boil it and leave it in your fridge overnight).

It's also helpful to minimize inhibitors of iron absorptions, such as caffeine.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• adding beans to my daily lunch salad, 7 grams of tofu w/cooked spinach at dinner with quinoa - packs on the calories, but no way around it to gain protein/iron...

• Never heard of an "iron fish"....I'll do some research.