Chronic Kidney Disease

2»

Comments

• edited September 2020

Susan, it is so refreshing to see a RD who uses cronometer. Unfortunately, the ones on here that I have contacted want me to be a cog in their wheel instead of evaluating me on my issues or they don't take my Humana PPO insurance for consultation. It would be like a luxury to actually have someone with knowledge to review a few days of my diary and comment. I have gone to dietitians who printed out 5 diets and said "Here, you put that together." HUH??? :(

• @Vonneb
    I'm sorry to hear that it's been a struggle to find quality care. Like MDs, some dietitians are really great at what they do, and some are not meeting expectations.

If you can give them access to your account, it could be helpful for them to login and set individual targets and make some quick modifications.

Best of luck of your journey!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Susan_RD_101 I know this was an older post but I appreciate your comments about the care to post specific med advice, even if well intentioned. I'm seeing new opinions in PubMed published studies, for example, that have changed some viewpoints from previously published recommendations.

The biggest challenge I have is properly documenting phosphorus. Many foods don't list phosphorus. If I find that food in one of the larger databases it might have phosphorus listed, but then I have to create a duplicate entry in Cron so that I can keep track. (I'm 3a but was a borderline 4/5 when I got my blood tests 6 months ago, so I know this careful nutrition tracking does produce results). I am debating, when I do create an entry that has a phosphorus content listed, if I should put in the percentage of bioavailability instead of the total phosphorus. Wondering if this is an area that you focus on with your clients and how you track. Anyway, I appreciate the positive attitude in the posted comments you've added in the forums.

• @EmmaSurf

Unfortunately, I have limited experience working in renal nutrition. I think it's amazing you are tracking these key nutrients. My advice it to pay close attention to your weekly averages of phosphorous, sodium, potassium, etc. and comparing them to your test results. Once you find a pattern of eating that optimizes results you will be cruising!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I have to agree with Susan. I have Stage 4 CKD with an eGFR of 22 due to years of poor diet choices (fast food) which caused untreated high BP. That damaged my kidneys. The biopsy showed 12/38 glomeruli globally sclerosed with severe interstitial fibrosis and tubular atrophy and arterial intimal fibrosis and moderate arteriolar hyalinosis. I intend to speak with a renal dietician at my next nephrology appt on June 7 2022. I've reduced my sodium to 1500 mg or less a day, watch my potassium, and keep my protein intake low as I have a very high level of protein spillage in my urine. There is no cure only treatment for CKD. I take 3 different meds to control my BP and at best I hope to maintain a 22 eGFR for several more years through diet and exercise.