VITAMIN D BUG?

I am using supplements of vitamin D3
According to most sources,
the normal amount requiered of vitamin D per day is 200 UI, then why cronometer's minimum is at 600 UI in nutritional targets ,

( when I added my supplement who actually provides 200UI it showed 100%DV)
BUG??
But when I use my supplement it only showed 33% nutrient target???

P.S. If you need more details I can send them

Comments

• Hi Gabriel,

%DV is a standardized value for nutrition labels to help people better understand amounts on labels.

Your personal targets are by default, based on the RDA value for your specific body type, and can be quite different than the %DV value on a label.

• Aaron, can you explain a bit more about the default personal targets based on body type? We were having a discussion with Susan in General Nutrition thread "How to get enough potassium on a keto diet?" Susan and another poster both maintained that the RDAs are fixed regardless of body type. In Susan's words, "nutrient requirements for vitamins and minerals do not change based on an individual's size." When you say that Cronometer sets default personal targets for specific body type, does that refer to general categories like men, women, pregnant women, etc. rather than their individual characteristics such as BMI?

• @Lin the RDAs are specific to gender and life stage - adults vs. children, and for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. This doesn't take into account body size or type, as Susan mentioned in the other thread.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• So it basically mean that as I am a bit underweight, and still pretty young in age,
    I need 3 times the amount of vitamin D than the usual person
    Thank you !

• @Gabriel

The adult requirement for vitamin D (for both genders) is 600 IU per day. However, most health authorities recognize that this amount may be too low. As such, it is better to aim for a daily intake of 1000-2000 IU per day, not exceeding 4000 IU per day, which is the current upper limit.

As discussed, the %DV can be somewhat misleading since the reference value doesn't always reflect actual requirements. In Canada, there are plans to address this, but it is a lengthy and expensive project.

Hopefully this adds some clarification!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• Ahh thank you very much now I get it
    The sources I found stated that the minimum for below 50 years old is 200UI
    (Institute of Medicine of the National Academies)
    it's far to low !

• Karen, thanks for the response. Also, I like your creative Halloween themed photo!

• How should I supplement D3? There seems to be tablets, capsules (of varying kinds), and a spray.

I've read the tablets aren't as good (bio-availability, if that's the term).

The NHS advises 400 IU. I was going to aim for 4000+.

Is there a gold standard for finding out this sort of information?

Thanks for any help. I've been putting this off for so long.

• A great thing to do (regardless of how you supplement) is to regularly measure your vitamin D blood levels. That way you can at least tell if the supplement type & amount you take are working and getting your levels where you need them. I measure every 6-months with a simple at-home test kit through https://www.grassrootshealth.net

• That's a thought. Thank you!

My first reaction was horror at the thought of sending my blood through the mail. I've seen/read too much cyberpunk, etc.

• @Paul

Definitely worth getting your vitamin D levels checked! Even if supplementing, there are several factors (such as our weight, the presence of digestive issues, the form of vitamin D, etc.) that can impact our vitamin D status when supplementing. I would aim for testing at least yearly or in the spring and fall (if in Canada or another similarly cold country). Your MD can perform this test for a fee.

Also, supplementing 4000 IU D3 per day is fine. To enhance absorption, I would take it with a meal containing fat (since it's a fat soluble supplement).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• Thanks, Susan!

I don't know if it's just me or a UK-wide culture thing, but I don't tend to visit the Doctor unless there's something very serious going on. I've found some at-home test kits, so I might give that a go.

_ I would take it with a meal containing fat_

will keep this in mind. cheers!