Macro

Every so often I hit a blind spot. The one I'm bumping up against at the moment is the term "Macro" when referring to food. I've tried dictionaries and they know about Zen Buddhist "Macrobiotic" but I'm pretty sure that's not what people mean when they discuss Macros. Could someone point me at a noteworthy online definition? Are essential amino acids or salt Macros and if not, why not? Is Macro just a shorthand synonym for "Fat, Protein and Carbohydrate"?

Comments

• That's right, @spot! Macro is shorthand for "Macronutrient". It simply delineates Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates from "Micronutrients", which include vitamins, minerals and subtypes of macronutrients.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Most Keto calculators are calculating at 0.8 x pound of lean body mass. This Calculator is calculating at 0.8 x Kilogram of lean body mass. Much less protein then recommended on all Keto calculators I have seen. So I think it's incorrect and too low on protein. Too low of protein will cause losses to muscle mass. Is this a Cronometer mistake?

• Hi Sharpur,

The Rigorous settings are based on a therapeutic ketogenic diet. Those using this diet pattern to treat or manage their disease need the ability to strictly limit their protein intake. We also offer other preset Ketogenic options in the Profile tab.

Moderate allows 1.0 g protein/ kg lean body mass and Relaxed allows 1.5 g protein / kg lean body mass. We also have a custom setting, where you can enter your own individualized value, if you have found something that works even better for you.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) are developed and published by the Institute of Medicine (IOM).

https://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/12

"The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for both men and women is 0.80g of good quality protein per kg body weight per day and is based on careful analyses of available nitrogen balance studies...."

• Ah.... 0.80 grams per kg body weight, not kg lean body mass which is the calculation used on cronometer. It had me a 60grams protein with is 2 oz of meat per day.

• Perhaps the Institute of Medicine assumes dietary recommendations apply to healthy people. Increasing the protein intake of the obese because they weigh more seems counter-intuitive. I'd interpret "per kg body weight" as a healthy weight for the body in question if I were asked.

• I'm not overweight. Thicker side of normal. The keto calculation for rigorous states 60g of protein per day. Less then 1/2 a can of tuna. Please check this calculation for yourself and see if it jives. I have now done the custom setting so I am happy I can eat more protein. I am just pointing it out that it does not seem correct. I have been keto for over 2 years. Just changed to track with this app and have noticed this. According to your medical link it would also support my point.

• I apologize, I wasn't implying you were. I should have worded my post more appropriately.

• No offence taken. I just really want you to check it out and see if it make sense to you. It would not be good if someone really just ate super low protein and lost muscle mass because of a flawed calculation.

• @spot

You hit the nail on the head! The DRI's only apply to healthy populations; needs may be different for those managing a chronic disease.

Also, protein needs are 0.8 g per kg of ideal body weight for anyone who has a BMI of 25 and greater. Fat tissue doesn't require much protein.

Ideal body weight (kg) = [height x height] x 24.9.
    Height is in meters.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com