Supplements

On a 800 calorie restricted diet I thought I'd need to make sure my mineral, vitamin and essential proteins were adequately covered. Using the Cronometer nutrient analysis I've settled on the following drink as a routine breakfast, made up to 350ml with water off the boil and blended:

Milled linseed flax 15g (for the Omega 3 ratio)
Essential Amino Acids powder 15g
Butter 10g
Oxo cube (to provide a taste mask)

Taken with a few tablet supplements:

Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin C 1g
Vitamin D3 5000 IU
Boots A-Z complete vitamins and minerals
Calcium 800mg magnesium 400mg
and around 6g of Lo Salt (half and half potassium and sodium ions) a day on meals.

This seems to tick all the Cronometer micronutrient boxes which otherwise stayed empty.

Comments

• @spot

At such a low calorie intake, you definitely would require a vitamin/mineral supplement. One quick note, you may want to divide your calcium supplement in 1/2 as this will lead to a better absorption of the nutrient. Take the other 1/2 2 hours + later.

Also, at such a low calorie intake, you may not be meeting metabolic energy requirements, which are also necessary.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Susan_RD_101 thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely defer half the calcium by at least two hours - it's in two tablets which is convenient.

The calorie recommendation was the Diabetes Nurse's to force my BMI down from 30 to a suggested 22, and it's taken me to 25 so far. I have no intention of going beyond that target, and I had a stethoscope check by the doctor this week to get his approval to continue. My metabolic energy requirements are meanwhile coming off my waist.

I plan eventually to go to 1600 calories a day to start with for maintenance but keeping carbohydrates to under 20% by weight indefinitely. I expect some of the supplements will still be needed.

• @spot

Glad to hear that you are medically supervised and have had success so far! :)

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer