Options

Lean Body Mass

Hi! Hope that someone can help me understand this.
I'm exercising 4-5 times a week and at the gym the personal trainer told me I should eat 1 gr of protein per kg. So this means 61gr as I weight 61 kg.
I'm also trying to loose some body fat and after more than 1 month at the gym, even if I do more weight lifting and little cardio, I haven't loose any weight but put on muscles which is not bad.
I know I eat lots of carbs, mainly fruits. So the last few days I've eaten lots of protein and little fruit (no pasta or bread) and I feel very good and lean.
I'd like then to follow a low carb diet. I set it up on Crono under Ketodiet and it's written "gr of proteins per LEAN BODY MASS" and it allowes me 52 gr of protein per day. Is it different than my body weight? Why not 61gr as per my body weight as they told me at the gym?

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Comments

• Options

Hi Giulyetta84,

The ketogenic settings will estimate your lean body mass (by subtracting your body fat from your body weight) and then calculate grams of protein per kg lean body mass, to make sure you are getting enough protein to support your muscle mass.

We provide these presets to help get you started, but we also have custom settings which allow you to enter in values that are better for you! One option would be to choose fixed Macronutrient Targets, then in the Nutritional targets, edit protein to a custom value of 61 grams.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

@Giulyetta84

I personally don't like seeing protein less than 1 g per kg of body weight for anyone following a low carb diet given that there is a risk of muscle loss. Also, keep in mind that total calories matter when it comes to weight loss. It might be worth paying attention to see if there are any hidden sources of calories coming into your diet. :)

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

1g per kg of body weight it LOW!. You should be about .8 to 1g per pound of lean body mass. Ex: If you weigh 100lbs with 20% body fat (i.e., 80lbs of lean mass), then you should be consuming b/n 64g and 80g of protein. Keep your carbs locked at no more than "X" (for example, if Keto, then in the 25g-30g of net carbs). Then, back fill with appropriate levels of fats to get to your daily caloric needs. Thus, the variable will be your fat intake.