Has anyone stopped having dairy and felt depressed in the first days or weeks?

I only had water for 2 days because I was really sick from a food reaction - I think the dairy had messed up my stomach. I stopped having milk too and butter or anything but water those 2 days and knew I HAD to stop dairy again. I still had 1 cup last night and 1 cup today - only to ease off a little - but I don't want to have any from now. It's just that I have felt really depressed today and yesterday and feel like I want to sleep and bad thinking. I know I'm a bit weak from the 2 days of being sick and drinking only water (and a few apples) but this feels like maybe withdrawl? Is that possible? I do get sick and stuff but normally I feel pretty okay in my thinking and my mood is normally okay mostly. This feels almost like a flu only without the fever and all that. I feel terrible tbh. Could it be withdrawl from dairy?
I'm going to try and have some white rice later and maybe just a few vegetables and maybe to make rice milk too. Then start having vegetable broth and maybe some pears - tomorrow or the next few days till my stomach calms down. I'm going to keep drinking water throughout the day and maybe - I'm not sure yet, put some ginger in some of it to both calm my stomach and give me a slight boost. I think I should try to take some walks too even though I really don't feel like it. Sorry, I'm feeling really sad and I don't know where to post. :(

Comments

• I'm wishing I hadn't had that cup of milk today because I feel much much worse since I had it. I guess my body really does not want this stuff. I getting a slight headache which was gone this morning and I really think I'm reacting to the dairy. This is awful. I'm changing my avatar from pizza too, even though that could be vegan. Just looking at it is making me sick.

• @butterfly

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling great (virtual hug!). While we definitely encourage sharing in these forums, I think it's important for you to get the help you need so that you are in a better emotional and mental place. A good starting point is your family doctor, who can refer you to a professional that can help you work through your feelings.

While diet can definitely have an impact on mood, it's unlikely that it is just one food impacting your mood. I encourage anyone dealing with illness (whether it be physical, emotional, or mental) to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and lentils, nuts, and seeds, aiming to get 100% of the requirements for each nutrient met. Also, remember the importance of getting 7-9 hours of sleep and aiming for some daily activity that you enjoy.

Feel better soon!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• You could be lactose intolerant. I agree with Susan as well. I hope you feel better soon. hug

• Thank you both for your kindness. Sorry I'm so late back but I was also getting migraines the last several weeks - but I'm feeling a little better. :) Susan, I hear you on everything you're saying. It sounds like wise advice. I am also eating really fresh organic produce right now also and drink plenty of water and it really does help me feel better. I'm trying meditation and other things to work on feelings, including music therapy. For me food can really affect my feelings but I've worked with excellent people before with stopping negative thinking. Health issues can also be emotionally draining and I think I need to be less hard on myself too. Some people also think that dairy can be physically addictive and has morphine like qualities and stopping it causes some people to feel really out of sorts for weeks and that's the main reason and thing I was asking about here. You always have very balanced and sensible information and I'm appreciative of all your efforts here and kindness. :)

ruthiechan ~ I definitely could be and I do much better without any dairy at all. I'm trying to add avocado and small amounts of nut milks and maybe some coconut for fats to replace it. Thank you so much for your kind words and the hug! :)