How do you upload recipes using a json file? I can't get it to work...

I found the option to "import from json file..." but yet when I save a file in note++ as ".json", I get an error saying "Please upload a compatible import file"

How do I get this to work? It'd make things SO much easier to just upload/import them, rather then manually add everything with every recipe.

I did a quick search in the help section, but I didnt see anything that addressed this issue specifically (unless I missed something?)

Best Answers

Answers

• So there is no way to upload a recipe? Even if from publications by Dr Mercola?

• Hi AngieB,

We do not have a way to import recipes from outside sources - but this is a requested feature that we are working on for the future.

We recently included a number of recipes from Dr. Mercola's Ketogenic Cookbook in our database - so we may already have the one you are looking for!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I’d love to see this feature!! I have tons of recipes in AnyList that I would love to import directly into Cronometer with json.

• I'm a software developer by day so wouldn't mind knowing the json schema so I can do this manually (I know my way around json just fine). I could just export some but it's easier if you guys just tell me :)

• I attempted to export a custom recipe to JSON, and what I got was not very usable. All of the nutrition information uses private IDs, so it's not easily usable. Is this intentional? Sample:
    "nutrients": [
    {
    "amount": 0.19865395145013,
    "id": 512
    },
    {
    "amount": 0.6427501755671201,
    "id": 513
    },
    {
    "amount": 1.2565721218169104,
    "id": 514
    },
    {
    "amount": 34.273649944022196,
    "id": -203
    },
    {
    "amount": 265.4241802598865,
    "id": -204
    },
    {
    "amount": 12.438898138887302,
    "id": 203
    },
    ]

• Also, I will say -- the reason I started looking for an export is because there exists no permalinking to recipes. I would really like to be able to deeplink to a meal spreadsheet that I use for the family in Google Sheets.

• Would be really awesome if Cronometer would team up with MealBoard. That way I can stop entering the recipes twice 😉

• Thanks for the feedback @Hamrthroer_69 I have added your request to our list!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I attempted to export a custom recipe to JSON, and what I got was not very usable. All of the nutrition information uses private IDs, so it's not easily usable. Is this intentional?

You could see the correspondence by exporting to JSON and CSV and comparing the values.
    Still, there is a quicker way, thank you Cronometer guys for posting the full list at https://www.fr.freelancer.com/projects/data-entry/extraction-nutrition-data-from-excel/
    Time saver 👍 :)

• From what I can see, the real issue for recipes seems to be that the foods in the recipe need foodId and measureId that corresponds with the correct food on the cronometer website, eg. foodId:464674 measureId:52627428(hopefully) for a large cooked egg.

For importing single custom foods it seems a bit easier.
    As a byproduct of simplifying things for myself, I made a python library for making importable json for custom food, Github-link.

I use this to run a script that I feed barcodes, and it spits out json-files I can import directly in to Cronometer Custom Food.