clarification required please - rigorous setting for cancer

Hi to all. I am a little confused and have read different answers regarding grams of protein for lbs or kgs. I am 142.6 lbs and 5'7". My settings show the amount of grams as 47 grams protein, 20 grams net carbs, 176.4 grams fat. I am having trouble maintaining my weight and have read conflicting answers regarding grams of protein I need. Clarification will be much appreciated - thank you. Basil.

Comments

• Are you putting on or losing weight? Are you undergoing cancer treatment?

• Hi and thanks Vickie. Currently I am between treatments and waiting for a PET scan in few weeks to decide whether I can have some low dose radiation to slow the progression of the tumor. My weight has stayed been between 142 and 144 lbs during the last few weeks (having slowly dropped from 165 lbs 6 months ago).
    Cheers. Basil.

• @basil9

The standard nutrient requirements that Cronometer sets is for an individual who is assumed to be free of disease. When someone is sick or fighting a disease, his or her nutrient requirements will vary.

In cancer, a condition known as 'cancer cachexia' can occur, which makes it very difficult to maintain weight. It's important to eat a high calorie-high protein diet while going through treatment.

Cancer isn't my area of expertise, but I would typically advise a cancer patient to consume between 1.2-1.5 g of protein per kg of ideal body weight per day in order to preserve muscle mass and weight.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck! <3

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi and thanks Susan. I am trying to find the number of protein grams I need to maintain my weight (which I think is close to ideal right now) while at the same time ensuring that I get enough to maintain muscle mass while and at the same time not too much so that the cancer can use it to grow in a reduced carb diet. According to Dr. Thomas Siefried and Miriam Kalamian in her book "Keto for Cancer" this is very important. My appetite and diet is good and I a maintaining weight between 142 and 144 lbs right now. Cheers and thanks for the help. Basil.

• I too am using to help fight cancer so figuring out the right balance of protein is hard. I read the recommendation but how do you know what the ideal weight per day is ? I’m 5’7 and currently 147.

• @Elizabeth_51 - at 5'7" and 147 lbs, your BMI (body mass index) is 23.0 kg/msq. This fits within the BMI category of "normal weight", so I would say that you are already at 100% of your ideal body weight.

The goal in cancer treatment will be to maintain your current weight (and prevent muscle loss). At your current weight, I would be aiming for a protein intake of ~80 g per day, but double check with your cancer treatment team's dietitian, as he/she may want you at a higher intake.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer