Options

Creating recipes: Accuracy when adding raw ingredients that will be cooked

When I create a recipe, for example, a curry, I start with all raw ingredients, so that's how I enter them. 8 oz raw carrots, 12 oz raw onion, etc. But then I cook it. Does that change the accuracy of the nutrition facts? I know the weight won't be accurate, so I just do percentages for portions. For example, if the recipe as entered raw says it weighs 1300 grams, but it really weighs 1000 after cooking, then no matter what the true weight is, I would say, for instance, that a 100 gram portion is .1 of the entire recipe. SO, I am ok with figuring out proportions, but not sure about the accuracy of my macros.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

you know CRON stands for Calorie Restriction-w/Optimum Nutrition...wouldn't worry so much about macros, don't think most of them degrade that much with heat..just water loss and vitamin content ain't that precise to begin with every carrot doesn't have the same Vit A content...but the db gives you a good estimate/guess....

just trying to say this is WAY more advanced than "If It Fits Your Macros"

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options

Thanks. Good to learn about CRON. Less concerned about the nutrition than the macros. When planning my food for the day, I'm trying to be as accurate as I can. Curry has a LOT of fat and carbs, and if I'm off with my portion sizes, I could go way over. Sounds like I'm on the right track, and that if my RAW measurements are correct, I'm ok, although I do know that some foods have MORE sugar cooked vs. raw. hmmm...

• Options

more sugar cook than raw would probably be due to water loss...But i think a lot of the data for cooked vs. raw is just calculated, not actually measured...and if your using percentages for servings of the original...it's what i've always done and seems to work for me....?

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options
    edited August 2018

i'm curious what @moies disagrees about my post with? join in the conversation we could use the traffic here....

to stay in my usual mirthful mood, i'd add i feel like a grade schooler that just got their first demerit on their 'permanent record'...and i'd like an explanation...