List of foods in diary scrambled randomly

Only using 2 platforms: PC and iOS app. Happens on both.

Comments

• Hello @Muska1986 ,
    Do you know if this is happening after performing a specific function? ie. Does this happen after importing data from another source (Apple Health, Ffitbit, Nokia, etc) or Moving items around manually, or adding a biometric for instance? Does it resolve after refreshing your page, or does it stay scrambled?

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• No, it happens randomly. It sometimes happens right after I added all the foods I ate. It has no system in throwing them around either.

• Would you be able to send some screenshots of the discrepancy (ie. before/after) ? We have had reports of foods being added to the top instead of the bottom of the diary on iphone. Is this happening to you?

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I’ll make the screenshot when it happens.

Tbh it’s totally random. Sometimes top, sometimes bottom. It started after one of the latest updates. Maybe a week or so ago:/

• Thanks @Muska1986 ! We really appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this!

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• Here you go.

http://i.imgur.com/frxAT5f.jpg

Just to understand what we see:

I usually track every activity separately. Everythig was going after each item in a chronological order. So today it should’ve shown:

30 min walk
    420 min office task
    All the foods
    30 min walk
    20 min walk
    Aerobic + martial arts
    60 minute walk

Instead I get these in the beginning.

This happens on all devices, in random scrambles.

• Hi @Muska1986 ,
    Has this issue been resolved, or are you still experiencing the problem?
    Best,
    Hilary

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• edited July 2018

Hello @Hilary ,
    Unfortunately there’s no progress in this. I write something in the middle of the day, and it gets randomly on top, middle, or anywhere else. Not sure why but it seems that a chronological entry is not available on any of my devices.

Is there a chance to add a sorting order in the preferences maybe?

• Hello everybody,

Short suggestion, not sure if it's possible to add: the issue would be immediately solved if you could add a sorting order feature to both web and mobile apps; chronologic, caloric density, or ABC would do just fine.

Thanks again for your hard work!

• Hi Muska,

Timestamps are coming out now - with this feature enabled, you can sort your diary by time! I hope that helps the problem - let us know how it goes.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @Karen_Cronometer look - same issue, now with time stamps. It’s like putting random stuff in the middle of the order on the iPhone app.

http://imgur.com/yqo6NNn

• Hi Muska1986,

Hmm, well there goes that theory! Do you have a screenshot of the order of these items in the date from which you copied them for comparison?

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @Karen_Cronometer it’s from today! You can see the order by the time stamp though.

Or is there sethimg else you’d need?

• My mistake - so sorry about that! We will have to keep looking for clues.
    Next time it happens, keep track of the steps you take in the app i.e. which buttons did you tap in sequence and we can see if we can reproduce the issue for more ideas.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @Karen_Cronometer tbh it looks as if the order is not forced on the list. Not sure how to translate this in programming, but if there's a sort method, it's supposed to have a priority overy anything else. Maybe some log files could show what changed it? The time when this happened is between 12.00 and 12.30 yesterday.

• I did notice this morning that there doesnt appear to a sort enforced in the list, as @Muska1986 suggests. I havent gone through each of the steps, but what I did do was I had added some biometric entries between 6 and 7 this morning. Closed the app. came back in to log my coffee and the entries appeared at the top of the diary group. I do recall that at the time I opened the app, I had pressed the diary group to give it focus, since it wasnt the top diary group. I then entered in the entries for the coffee and the heavy cream. I noticed that, even though they were stamped, they were just below the diary group label. I checked the web version when I got to work this morning and noticed the order hadnt changed there either.

@Karen_Cronometer is right in that you can sort your entries by time, but this must be done as a user action (navigating to the cog and clicking Sort All by Time. I do not see a similar entry on the mobile version. Perhaps Im overlooking it. I checked in the vertical ellipsis and didnt see the option there.

@Muska1986, are the items ever in order and then not in order again?

Im in agreement that being able to sort the entries would be a nice feature add. in fact, You wouldnt even need more real estate to do the sort. You could have a default sort, but then make the column labels clickable/touchable so that they resort based on that particular value (time, description, etc).

Just my $0.02.

--
    Tim

• @tcolvinOH It seems that the afternoon (PM) times are stuck inbetween my morning hours. Between 6-9AM I get my lunch logs of 12PM. Sometimes even more random. No sorting order helps at the moment.

• @tcolvinOH That's right, you can sort by time on the website, but this feature is not on mobile yet - that's something we can work on.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @Karen_Cronometer - so I have a question related to the sorting. How are diary entries generally sorted? Is it based on entry sequence? Is there any reason that the diary isnt sorted by time of entry by default, rather than me telling it to sort by time (other than it doesnt currently work that way)? Im just trying to understand what the program does currently.

I appreciate the clarification on the sorting being available on the web vs mobile.

--
    Tim

• @Karen_Cronometer for me it doesn’t work on either platforms.

• Yes, the foods should be shown in order of adding them.

If you have not selected anything in your diary yet, you will see the top category in your diary highlighted (grey on web; green in the mobile app). When you add a food/diary entry to your diary, it will be added to the bottom of this category.
    Without diary groups enabled, the food will be added to the top of your list and as you add foods they will be added below the previous entry.

You can select where to enter items in your diary. If you select another category and add foods they will go to the bottom of that category. On the website, you can also highlight a food in the diary (the row will be grey), then when you add a food it will be inserted just below the selected food.

You can drag items in your diary to reorder them on both web and mobile, too!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @Karen_Cronometer - Thats pretty much what I expected and experienced. Its a pretty simple process to move things around and Ive had to do it before, so I personally dont have any real issue with it. if anything, its probably more of an annoyance, but not really a deterrent. I also realize that it is the nuances that can make or break a system and while it seems trivial and is definitely workable, being able to just naturally sort items in some logical order just makes the process easier. As Im sure you can attest to, food logging can be quite cumbersome if you have to go through a huge process to do it. I've found in my own experience that the simpler it is, the more motivated I am to do it. Its not the only motivation, but it definitely contributes.

I think in situations like this one, having some natural sorting capabilities would just make life simpler. Having said that, there's an argument to be made for maintaining entry sequence. I also understand that the timestamp support is still relatively new.

@Muska1986 - when you say it doesnt work on either platform, do you mean that it never sorts by time? In other words, have you tried to click the "Sort All by Time" on the web and it hasnt resorted the diary entries in time sequence? I hope you dont mind my persistence. Weird things like this intrigue me.

Unfortunately, this sounds like one of those types of issues where almost every keystroke/movement would have to be tracked to see exactly what is happening. I realize this is a pretty tedious task to figure out, but it sounds like this is somehow related to how entries are made in the mobile application. Are the items ever in order after entry and then say you exit out of Cronometer and then reopen the app, do the items appear out of order?

--
    Tim

• I can only repeat myself. I enter things. In chromological order. ALL platforms (web app, mobile app, etc) do the same. At random occasions (sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon) all entries get scrambled like seen above.

I even sort by time stamp. Same outcome.

• @Muska1986 I've never seen the website scramble entries but I have seen the iOS app do that on my iPhone. Consistently the iOS app adds new entries not at the bottom but at the top of the list or above the last entry added on the website (admittedly this was intermittent behavior). I'm not time-tagging my data so I'm not sure why this behavior is happening but it is very repeatable.

• Karen, I see here that people have the same issue I posed in the Gold discussion thread. In the diary as you add entries they used to be added to the bottom of the diary and now they are added to the top (under the biometrics). This is not more than just a little annoyance and time stamping does not help. Every day I have to try and drag the entries which I put in back in the sequence which is not easy on my phone or tablet. Timestamp isn't the fix for this for I am too flexible in what I do to be that rigid, I'm not a fan of using more time on my diary dragging and fixing timestamps if I have to change the order of what I'm eating/planned to eat. Clearly, the added diary entries USED to be added at the bottom and were only changed when there was a software upgrade, so the developers should be able to fix this issue. Can you please put this in as a software bug to fix?

• Tbh I thought this was already logged as a bug? My entries are random! Some get added to the top, some to the middle for no reason.

Please provide a solution asap

• I could be wrong and it could have already been reported and I missed it, I was reading a lot of suggested work arounds and requests for more info on the issue so wasn't sure it was reported to developers.

• It seemed to me that both Karen and Hilary work for / with developers.

• Hi PandaFoodie,

I can understand the frustration of foods not being added where you would like them. This has been reported as an iOS bug. The iOS developers have been stumped but will continue to look for more clues - any more details you can provide: step-by-step, every tap you make when the issue happens could help us figure this one out. There can by multiple ways of adding things to your diary, and any detail could be the key to figuring it all out.

We will also try out best to help where we can while we figure it out :)
    Muska has been doing a great job of letting us know what is going on - more details from other users can help too!
    When you add foods to your diary, do you make use of the ability to assign a category in the bottom right corner of the Add Serving dialogue? Or do you choose the category in your diary to add the food there? Does it seem to add to the category you have chosen every time, but sometimes go to the top sometimes to the bottom of that category? Or middle? Or does it go to a random category in your diary? If you have not chosen a category to put the food it, it will by default add the food to the first category in your diary.

Thanks for your help!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Actually, there was another person who posted that she noticed when there are time-stamped entries then entries after that are put in directly below the timestamp. I believe this is also what is happening. My weight and bodyfat are automatically time-stamped by Cronometer. Today, I edited those entries to delete the timestamps and I believe all my entries were then in sequential. I'll try it again a few more days - if this is the issue, if the developers can remove the default of the Fitbit scale putting in the time-stamps this would at least resolve my issue. I'll post and let you know how it goes.