New Cronometer Update Isn't Great If You're Recovering from an Eating Disorder

As the title suggests, I'm recovering from a restrictive eating disorder. This means I need to eat A LOT of food for up to two years so that my body can get all of the nutrients it needs and more so it can repair accumulated cellular damage, bone density loss, hair loss, etc. To do this, I needed to start tracking calories. If I don't track, I end up habitually eating 1,000 or less calories a day. Usually less, in the neighborhood of 200-800 calories.

Cronometer was great for this, at least it was until the most recent update. I could set custom values for my macros, micros, and caloric intake, and basically prevent the app from yelling and screaming about, "OH NOES!?!?! ur gonna get fat." All other apps I tried didn't allow this sort of freedom.

The most recent update, though? It has a big ol' purple scale that tells me if I have a deficit, which is fine, I'm ok with that because it encourages me to eat more.

But if I eat "too much"? Not only does it make sure that I know about it, if I hover over the purple scale with my mouse it puts a warning up in big, bold, red letters and lets me know that I'm going to get fat.

Now I don't know where to go, because this is going to shoot my recovery in the foot. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it. And yeah, I know that the old version told you about the surplus too, but at least I could take the upper limit off of my calorie range, and ignore the bar at the top. Now the app flat out ignores that I don't have a maximum limit set for my caloric intake for the day. It sucks, and it makes me want to go back to not eating.

Comments

• Could you set your upper and lower limits higher and solve the issue that way?

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• i would imagine the micro's and what not are still good. not sure if the website has body builder settings for bulking and cutting yet. but inevitably in life you get bad advice, use it to your advantage and smile and say i know mister cron-o-meter, i'm going to GAIN weight and everyone else wants to lose it. and be proud!

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• There is a setting to choose to gain weight vs lose it-maybe that was overlooked?

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• Hello @jaisonmorgan ,

Thanks for sharing your perspective!

On the website, you can go to the 'Profile' tab and un-check the box next to 'Show Weight Goal in Diary'. Afterwards, you'll still the calorie deficit and surplus, but hovering over the purple box won't show the text.

Please let us know if you have any further suggestions, as we do take these types of comments very seriously for futur improvements.

Kind regards,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @jaisonmorgan

Thank you so much for sharing your comment! As a healthcare professional working with those in recovery from eating disorders, I understand how frustrating your experience has been.

Are you currently working with a Registered Dietitian? If not, I would suggest doing so. I also think that you shouldn't be tracking calories given that eating disorders love numbers (you can make calories invisible in your profile). A dietitian will be able to create an exchange meal plan that meets your energy needs and focuses on the food you need to eat to recover vs. calories.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer