Options

Recipe weight way off

Hello I love your app although my total recipe weight on many different ingredients is off in some cases by hundreds of grams, this throws off the servings and in whole the entire recipes Macros! Can you help

Comments

• Options

i usually just divide the total weight in cron-o-meter by the number of servings....and add the 1 serving option for the recipe.

seems to work for me.

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options

Yes same here but when off by a couple hundred it’s hard. Heavy cream was weighing 800g for a 1/2 cup 😳

• Options

heavy cream would be significant, enter in the weight not the volume? weight is most often going to be the best choice... not sure how 8floz could weigh 800g's though. that's more like 32oz's....or a quart...Did you weigh a 1/2 cup and your scale told you 800g's? i'd check your scale to make sure it's not reading something else besides grams then...i had a problem once where my scale was set to read dwt instead of grams...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options

@Jgacnrep it sounds like you are potentially using a food with incorrect or missing data. Some of our nutrition listings for branded foods do not contain a gram-based weight, so using them in a weight-based recipe makes the recipe go a bit wonky. To get the most accurate data in recipes, try using NCCDB foods most often and ensure the listing you are using has a gram-based serving size. Check out this blog post for more info! https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Thank you. Biggest issue is Most heavy whipping cream that I select, I’ve tried about a dozen it only shows me that I can ad tbl (15ml) when I add “8 tbl” the total weight goes up by 800g rather than the 120g this is the only big issue.... all heavy creams with only tbl option do this.....? Thanks!

• Options

use the USDA one here it is, has grams and all that..

Food #24, Data Source: USDAsr28:01053

• Options

Is that a link? Does it coincide with Cronometer? Thx

• Options

well actually that was the food name for the usda entry for heavy whipping cream...

apparently you can't search for it though, i'd say search heavy whipping cream, and scroll the couple pages and look for the one that comes from the USDA...it says USDA on the right of it...it has the right grams and all that..

• Options

In Cronometer you can find good entries for heavy whipping cream under USDA Food #24 "Heavy Whipping Cream" or NCCDB Food #449856 "Heavy Cream".

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• Options

It bothers me that the database has entries only calculated in US ounces. Canada uses imperial ounces. It doesn't help that my Canadian whipping cream 33% Dairyland is entered in your database with zero carbohydrates, because that is what the label says and some user entered it that way. We know cream has about 0.4 grams per tablespoon. But the results vary wildly depending on whether I enter it in tbsp or ounces. It adds up if it's even a little bit off. I've been using one database entry from NCCDB and realized it is wrong because I live in Canada. The calories also vary wildly for all the different whipping cream entries. In Canada they use millilitres and not ounces. One millilitre is one gram. One tablespoon is 15 ml. It should be accurate when measured in grams but is it?????

• Options

Hi suze4,

I feel your pain - give me metric values please!

NCCDB foods will always give you the option to add a weight-based serving size so you can be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, the 1 mL = 1 g estimation works well for water, but may not work as well for other liquids that have many other things mixed in (for example, fat, protein, carbonation, etc). Depending on what the liquid is made of 1:1 may still be a good estimation for you. For example, 1 tbsp of "Whipping Cream, Not Whipped" from NCCDB is equal to 14.94 g, and 1 mL = 0.996 g

This food from NCCDB also shows 0.44 g carbohydrates per 1 tbsp. The difference between the value listed for this food and the one shown for the brand name product from Dairyland is that manufacturers round the values on the product label, whereas NCCDB gives unrounded values. We have a curation team here at Cronometer who reviews food products before they are added to the public database - so we can assure you that this was the value given on the label.

If you are looking for the most nutrition information for the foods logged to your diary, I would recommend using the generic alternative from NCCDB or USDA, rather than the brand name product. If you search for products (without the brand name) in the Common Foods tab your search results will be limited to our databases with the most nutrition information. Learn more here: https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/

I hope some of that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com