Sauna use and macros

Hi. I know that using a sauna can impact your macros just like exercise can as you burn calories while sitting in the sauna, not to mention electrolytes. Any idea how to incorporate this within cronometer? 'Ive searched and have not found anything. I have a clearlight sauna and on the mornings I use it, I am in for 30 minutes at 130 degrees.

Best Answer

• You would probably enter this as a custom exercise. Do you know about how many calories you would burn by sitting in the sauna? Calories burned is a tricky calculation, because of the different variables involved. Age and bodyweight factor into the calculation, as does heartrate. If you're using an activity tracker, you could get an idea of the calories used that way.

--
    Tim

Answers

• Thanks Tim. What is an activity tracker?

• A Fitbit or similar device. Something that will give you an idea of your realtime calories burned, usually by tracking your heart rate and allowing you to enter things like age and weight.

--
    Tim

• To figure out how many calories you burn, you really have to give it time. Religiously track what you eat, weigh yourself every morning and log it.

When the scale changes up or down. ~3500 a pound of weight. divided by the number of days. Compare that to your logged calorie intake average for the same days and period of time... If you lose 2 pounds over the course of 40 days and are averaging 2600 cals. then you were burning 2775.

And the scale can fluctuate 3-5 pounds day to day from water and food. So you'ld be looking for permanent weight change...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• I have nothing to add to what @bracconiere and @tcolvinOH said - great advice!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer