Looking for a buddy on this journey

Does anyone want to do a "3 months until Thanksgiving" challenge? I'm on the "one pound a week for the rest of my life" weight loss plan. I have a hard time staying motivated. It's the middle of my third week.

I've lost big amounts of weight in the past (ranging between 30-60 lbs.). I keep it off for about 2=3 years. The first year, I'll regain 10 lbs., then I'll be stable, then in a massive 2 or 3 month swoop I'll gain the rest back.

Starting a diet with my adult son is what gave me the push to come back to Cron-o-Meter. We made a 25-lb weight loss pact, with no time deadline. But, he hasn't really started yet. I don't think I'm going to make it over the motivation humps without a little help from some friends.

Thanks!
Jij

Comments

• i'm just tring to lose 5 pounds to 165 to get my biceps veins to pop, but...i use good old v.0.9.9 still (although i found the Easter egg in the source to update it to SR28 and future releases)...as long as you don't give me shit for my drinking, i wouldn't say anything about your struggles with food...is there a way to friend and share 'what i eat in a day' logs? tried it with a another friend on MFP, but it had to be lying because he was only logging a jimmy dean sausage muffin a day, for months. and said he wasn't losing weight....(thermodynamics apply to everyone)...

And if we win the battle against unknown enemies...stick with it, like balancing your check book to not get any over drafts...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Sounds good, bracconiere! I don't know if we can share the food logs, but if not, we can still kibbutz here. No prob for me, with your drinking! My personal trainer says that it's better to keep eating/drinking the things you love, to handle them within your plan for your goals.

• so apparently i need your email and to go gold to share my logs with you.

and i've tried to stress it in some of my other posts, but not only is it good to eat/drink what you love, but to play the avg. (2200+2200+4000)/3=2800, which is maintenance for me anyway....

send me a private message with your email and i'll add you as a friend..

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Hi guys,

It's great to see a accountability buddy-system! Making changes to your diet can be a little easier with friends helping you stay motivated.

Just an FYI: adding friends in Cronometer allows you to use your friends custom foods and recipes (click on the Custom tab when you do food searches to look for them more easily). However, this won't share any of your other information, like your diaries.

Best of luck!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• it won't share what i eat in a day? i thought it would i noticed the two check boxes on the individual nutrients to be public...

damn, i guess i got gold for nothing....joke...i was wanting to toss Aaron a few dollars just like back in the old days of v0.9.x, he's a genius!..Walking into the grocery store educated saves me money...a lot

• I definitely want to follow along, at minimum. We can always use more encouragement and accountability (and Im always for accountability). Im curious about what precisely is the "challenge"? Simply staying on plan or are there specific parameters, like losing X amount of weight? However I can help.

I would absolutely continue to add comments in the forum, as those of us who are regularly checking would be able to provide feedback/encouragement through the process.

--
    Tim

• I'm still looking for a challenge group or challenge buddy to keep me motivated. I'm open to ideas.

• edited August 2018

well me and tcolvin, friended each other...all it really seemed to do is share our recipes though...I'd be more than willing to let you look at my bean creations...just need your email

and as far as 3 months until turkeyday....just cutting 20 cals a day would make up for a 4000 thanksgiving...

i posted my weight graph in success stories, from march 2016, too now i was only cutting from my est. calced metabolic rate of 2820 to 2750...i wasn't in a hurry it took time, but it was 'EASY'....

have you said somewhere what your goals are with this? i can say it cured my dandruff even, so it works minor miracles...GERD went away, and other things i don't want to talk about also...

• What sort of diet plans do you have @Jij ? How about activity/exercise? Both are important but 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen. Curious about the diet plan.

--
    Tim

• I gave you a nice long answer, and lost it on an edit. Maybe it was TMI, anyway.

To lose a pound a week, my calorie limit is 1150. It's a real challenge to get all the nutrients with that kind of restriction, and I rely heavily on supplements. It's not ideal, but it's what I have to do, even while maintaining my weight. One of my first "red flags" is when I begin to forget my supplements. Then, I know my diet and I are in trouble. Tracking the nutrients is key for me, which is why Cronometer is the best.

Yesterday I decided to cut myself a break and change my weight loss goal to only a half pound a week. I will be able to stay in my calorie limits better.

I rely too heavily on meal replacement bars - Quest Bars, SynthaSix and ONE bars. They are well-balanced with the macros, so they're easy to grab for breakfast or a snack. Some of them are great with helping me reach my fiber intake goal, too. All of them are lower sugar than usual meal replacement bars.

Protein is usually fish, then chicken, then occasional red meat, and I'm adding in more tofu dishes. Low carb is key for me as a T2 diabetic.

I'm not able bodied, Tim. But I can pass in a crowd. In fact, that's one of my fitness goals. I work with a personal trainer, I garden, and I walk my dog (slowly).

• remember search is your friend, the oracle, or lowest calorie, lowest weight are different ways of finding new foods to hit your needs...i find 1,400 is an easy target and hit all my needs

I was only losing 1 pound a month for the last 2.5 years and lost the 30 pounds i wanted too....Yeah i know it would never sell a magazine on the cover, but it works and it's sustainable...

• LOL, Bracconiere - I did the "one pound per month" gig for two years, myself, between pregnancies way back when. I was thinking about that last night. Back then, I felt I had all the time in the world. People laughed! But it worked.

• we might not be friends, but just thought i'd update the page and say i'm down to 167 as of this morning, so only 2 more pounds in my 5 lb goal left...

• Congratulations! Inspiring. Nothing succeeds like success, as they say. I made my one-pound-a-week quota for August, my first month back on Cronometer. Now my goal is a half-pound a week. But, when the weather cools down, I'll change it back. I love the fall yard work. The joys of eating can't compare to the joys of working in the garden! So fall is a good weight-loss time for me.

• i've been logging everything i eat in the good'ol v0.9.9, everyday for 9 years....Congrats on making your august quota...also nice when the scale obey's our will! fight the damn thing with science and mathematics! works out pretty good for the doc visit too!

• i've been logging everything i eat in the good'ol v0.9.9, everyday for 9 years....Congrats on making your august quota...also nice when the scale obey's our will! fight the damn thing with science and mathematics! works out pretty good for the doc visit too!

• sorry about the double post there was a bug in the website apparently....

• hI BRACC, I can see that double Gold works, but this is not what was stated in their reasons to go GOLD...LOL. Thanks for sharing.

• So far, support is just ignoring me. But then, it is a holiday weekend...so maybe the staff was given time off.

• edited October 2018

Hi @Kristin99, we are a small Canadian company, so all our staff were busy celebrating Thanksgiving (And ignoring our Cronometer diaries to stuff ourselves full!). I hope your problem has been resolved? Was it the problem you stated in another thread regarding inviting non-gold members as a friend? Please let me know if you are still encountering issues.

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• Thank you for your concern Hilary, yes, all is well. Got it all resolved. I did not realize that the diary of the friend would not look identical to my Cron-o-meter.

Hope you had a fun Turkey Day!

• Can we share our food diaries or not? I feel like having that element of accountability will help me to stay on track with logging.

• Hi Stormjarara,

Adding friends to your Cronometer account does not allow them to access your diary. All of your information remains personal. Adding friends is a feature that allows you to share custom foods and recipes with others.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• edited December 2018

So there is no way to gain accountability with what we eat? I might have to go to MFP then.

• Hi Stormyjayrara,

You are free to share your diary, macronutrient targets or all your nutrient targets with an accountability buddy by sharing your Full Report in the Trends tab to help you stay motivated. Taking screenshots to send to your buddy could also work. Take a look through your diary and have a discussion with your buddy about where you went off track on days you didn't reach your goals, what reasons were behind it and how you could address them to improve next time; or to celebrate your successes with you.

There is a great community here that gives thoughtful feedback and encouragement too! Share your goals with us and your plan of attack and update us on your progress.

If you are interested in more hands on help, we have a directory of professionals using Cronometer. Check out "Find a Professional" in the Help tab: https://cronometer.com/#help

Best of luck with your health goals whichever route your decide!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• My email is: ravenengland5118@gmail.com if you would like to add me

Live Well,

–Alisia