Options

Keto Diet and muscle cramping

Hi

I’ve been on the Keto Diet for 40 days now and have been experiencing quite a bit of muscle cramping in my legs at night. I drink between 60-80 oz of water a day and my potassium macros get to about 60 - 70 % of my targets. I find it hard to meet that target 100% without going over my other macros. I also take CoQ10 before going to bed but nothing seems to be helping. Any advise on this?

Answers

• Options

@Nir

Leg cramps are a common side effect of very low carb diets because of the loss of water (used up with glycogen stores) and electrolyte imbalances. If you're not already, I would suggest adding in a multivitamin containing potassium, magnesium, and calcium. You also need adequate sodium, but this won't be found in a multivitamin. Feel free to sprinkle small amounts of salt on your food, provided your blood pressure is in the normal range.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Cramping c/w magnesium deficiency. 400 mg a day. You need a chelated, high absorption. For detail find Maria Emmerich on keto cleanse on line or book.

• Options

@Nir try adding electrolytes to your water, my choice is Hi-lyte available through Amazon. I got occasional cramps and I add Hi-lyte to my water every day, 3 times a day, no more cramps!

Maria H
    My story: jumpovertherattlesnake.com/

• Options

Try drinking tonic water with quinine.