How do I decide on my daily targets?

Hello! I'm new to cronometer and having been entering my food consumption and exercise for a week. I enjoy seeing the reports and learning more about what I eat.

One question that comes to mind is what macro and micro targets I should be using to align with my goals. I'm mostly focused on maintaining my current weight and optimizing for longevity. I don't subscribe to any particular dietary school of thought other than eating real food. Do I need to consult with a professional nutritionist to set the macro and micro targets? Should I just go with what cronometer sets for me? Are there resources I should be geeking up on in the cronometer community?

Interested in any guidance you can offer.

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks Hilary. Sounds like I should consult with a healthcare professional if I want to customize the targets.

• @RickS - you can find a healthcare professional familiar with Cronometer by checking out the following link :smile:

https://cronometer.com/pro-directory/

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I am similarly interested in longevity. There are research studies in animals and humans that suggest the life- and health-extending benefits of calorie restricted, low protein (especially animal protein), and intermittent fasting (or fasting mimicking) diets. There is no consensus among professionals with regards to macro or micro targets unfortunately. The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo is a good read (goes into details of the studies on low protein and fasting), as is The End of Alzheimer's by Dale Bredesen (discusses neural benefits of a ketogenic diet, among other things).

I personally keep my carbs in the 60-65% range, fats 20-30%, protein around 10%, and leave the default micronutrient settings. I load up on vegetables, with fruit (more in summer), "good" fats (avocado, flax, chia, some coconut, nuts), legumes, and grains in moderation, plus water, tea, and coffee. Rarely I'll have a pastured egg or organic dairy product (cheese or yogurt). With a diet this heavy on plant-based food, I end up having vitamins A, C, and K off the charts, a lot of manganese, and low B12 and zinc (which I supplement). I shoot for a higher omega 3:6 ratio than cronometer suggests ("Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids [PUFA] and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA [a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio] exert suppressive effects." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909). The "ideal" ratio is probably close to 1, but I don't usually attain that.

I feel healthy and energetic, and still get carded at age 39, so hopefully doing some things right ;)

Good luck!

• @drjenniferaron Avocado's pretty calorie-dense and its omega-3/6 ratio is very poor.