no oil WFPB diet

2»

Comments

• @aquabluebabe check your BMR and activity level settings as well as your weight and height that you have listed in Cronometer. These settings that can affect your targets. Learn more about setting up your profile here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09SRRMErzE&index=25&list=PLwVXgmubuwgJrxhZXqfs-Wv4tSCwUyeIV&t=1s

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi Aquabluebabe,

Do you have a weight loss goal set? Your weight loss goal may be reducing your calories to a very low amount, and you might like to consider setting a lower rate of weight loss. This will give you some more calories to work with while trying to reach your goals.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• @aquabluebabe

I just calculated your BMI and although it may feel like you have a lot to lose, objectively speaking, you have a small amount of additional weight. :) I would suggest aiming for a 1/2 lb - 1/4 lb of weight per week as this is more likely to be sustainable and not have a negative impact on your metabolism.

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• Ive recently started trying a no oil WFPB diet - and I want to limit my calories from fat to 10%. But this seems kind of impossible? Even if I dont eat avocado/nuts/tahini etc., I still end up with about 15%. Does anyone else have this issue? (Maybe its because I dont eat enough calories or eat too many beans/tofu?)

• Beans and tofu must be limited. Chef AJ's diet is WFPB and easily controls fat.

• @iamthewalrus

Professionally speaking, I do feel that quality of diet is more important than macronutrient distribution. While I do encourage limiting added and concentrated fats, there are a lot of nutrients that can be attained from consuming nuts, seeds, nut butters, and avocado.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• yeah, I was really surprised how easily fat adds up! I didn't want to stop eating nuts etc because I think they can offer a lot in terms of nutrition, but even if I DO give all these things up (very sad) I still cant make it . Maybe ill just have to be a bit more flexible on the 10% thing. thanks for your answers

• I'm surprised that I haven't turned into a sweet potato or broccoli floret,,,

• I've cut added salt out of my meals and now the weight is falling off, food doesn't taste as good, yet. So now, WFPB SOS free...

• I’m new here and am WFPB and I am really seeing how little fats one can eat to keep it at 15% of the days fat. And how easy it is to go well over my desired protein amount. I want to stay at or under 50g protein. This takes time to enter everything but I’m hoping once I get some recipes logged in it will speed up.

• @DrPepper I am sos free also. I've found Tasty Salt to be my go-to for salt, It has been a life saver. It does not contain salt but made with herbs. I've tried all other subs, but they were bland and not worth buying. Table Tasty is a game changer...the draw back $$$$$. I buy mine on Amazon and have found it worth the investment....all my food tastes delicious. Good luck!

• One more person doing WFPB (no s.o.s.). Is anyone else having fun trying to set their macro percentages? I mean I want a MAXIMUM fat, a MINIMUM protein, and the rest in carbs but Chronometer seems to have no easy way to do it.

• When it comes to protein, I have trouble with percentages. My understanding is that I need a certain weight of protein more or less every day, based on my healthy weight (and, ahem, advanced age!) to preserve and build muscle. Most everything else can fluctuate, but if I don’t consume around 60g complete protein every day, supposedly my body will break down muscle to get whatever it needs.

if there were an option to have a fixed target for protein and percentage goals for fat and carbs, I would certainly experiment with it. I am definitely learning a lot from the detailed tracking Cronometer allows. The feedback Cronometer gives me on the surprising holes in my “healthy” diet has already been valuable…just in the first week!

But honestly I haven’t yet seen the value others do in trying to be so consistent—in calories, macros, or most nutrients—from one day to the next. Although I should average about 2200 kcal/day, I literally range from <300 to over 3000/day in any given month, between, 23 hour fasts and occasionally overindulging with family and friends. Is there any research saying this variation is harmful (I’m 73, female, slim and healthy)?

Even on my twice-yearly fat-loss binges (to get fat % back down to 25%, and I see no reason to do it slowly!) I deliberately increase carbs and protein on resistance workout days, and then drop back to modified fasting levels in between. In 2 weeks I will lose 6 lbs of fat but only 3-4 lbs of weight according to my BIA body composition scale. The rest of the time I just try to enjoy people and life without worrying about food too much. If this is yo-yo dieting, so be it.

• I am going back to what worked for me which averages 1000-1200 calories a day (67 YO female) and walking at least 4 miles a day. I look more at the 7 day summary than the daily when it comes to planning.

No flour. No sugar. Very limited refined foods. And making sure that my micros are met as much as possible by food and supplement where needed as well as some vitamins I think appropriate for my age. It is mainly WFPB but it is very hard to get the nutrients at that level. At least to meet the RDAs, which I do, but have heard that actually half the RDAs would be adequate.

That said to the original question [realizing this is an old and resurrected post] I am shooting for at least 60-80 grams of protein, limiting oil use to spritzes of Avocado oil for the air fryer and getting the rest through nuts to make sure I get the minimum levels of omega 6 [which takes some effort without processed foods]. And not overly sweating the rest.

I also found that mixing it up from day to day does help. The body learns to be remarkably efficient with the same routine every day.

• edited November 2022

Jocoyn....Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle. I eat no overt oil, salt, sugar and vegan...so I understand your limitations. It has taken me a long time to figure out how to up protein levels while keeping calories low yet nutritionally dense. I am able to meet my goals but the protein will up your fat calories. I depend on tofu, tempeh, beans, occasional quinoa, lentils (red lentil chili - yum), and organic protein powder for my main protein. I also enjoy a hot soy milk with a scoop of organic protein powder (20 grams right there). You can reach your protein goals... it takes some dedication, but it can be done. I am daily aware of macros/micros....love Chronometer! To be successful (I am assuming you are aiming for two pound weekly loss by your calories posted)...probably a 7000 cal deficit weekly - there is no room for junky food. Every bite is nutritionally dense (lots of nonstarchy veggies - no deprivation in my world) and I hit the weights regularly. I am always researching and open to change but what I am currently doing works for me. I am satiated, healthy, happy living my lifestyle. Wishing you much success.

• Hi
    I've been WFPB for a couple years, and used cronometer for the last 10.

• edited January 2023

@Wijbiz WFPB also...long before it was popular....on chronometer 4 years.

• Just an FYI,,Jason Fung is a Nephrologist, not an entomologist which is a person who studies insects. Dr. Fung is a kidney doctor turned nutrition.

• edited February 10

I've been eating a vegan diet almost continuously since 2016, with a few slip-ups with sweets. Due to the sweets and eating vegan several times a week in restaurant, I have gained 30 kilos. I've been seeing a doctor for over a year who also practices plant-based, low-fat and wholefood according to calorie density (salad and vegetables unlimited to fill you up, pulses for the protein and fiber and wholefood carbohydrates also contain a lot of fiber and should only be eaten in limited amounts if you're struggling to lose weight) and I took part in the web seminars she offered for 1 year, which helped me lose 4.5 kg. Not much, but that's because I was almost exclusively bedridden and in a wheelchair, so I have no leg muscles, which makes it particularly difficult, one slip and you've already put back on the weight you've painstakingly lost during the week. I actually didn't want to count any more calories, so now I only fast twice a week for 24 hours, I start at lunchtime, which means I eat my first and last meal at lunchtime and the next day I start eating again at lunchtime, so I only have to go through the evening without eating and I manage that well by drinking a lot. That way I hope my weight will come down. As blood sugar fluctuations play a very big role, I have now started adding 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of water and drinking it with a straw, which lowers blood sugar massively, then I eat vegetables or a salad first before eating, which also lowers blood sugar, and when I go to a restaurant I start with vegetables, then protein and finally carbohydrates, making sure that the carbohydrates have more fiber than carbohydrates. Fiber also lowers the blood sugar level and you consume fewer calories.

• I am whole food plant based, oil free for about seven years now. I lost seventy pounds eating high fiber, low fat. Still a bit over weight though.