Options

Does Cronometer's nutrition goals take your weight into account?

Or are the nutrition goals standardized based on your gender? For example, I weigh 105 lbs so I'll need less iron than a woman who weighs 150; does it work like that? I can't help but feel that some of the goals for vitamins and minerals are unrealistically high for me. I can't reach them without overeating, even on a really healthy day.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

i don't think the RDA's RDI's do, so probably not...

and as far as hitting the goals, the oracle is your friend...took me 2-3 month's in the beginning to figure out how to get my nutrients....lot's of searching...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options

@meenakshigomes

Cronometer doesn't determine vitamin and mineral needs, the Institute of Medicine does. :smile:

Requirements for nutrients are either an RDA - the intake of a nutrient that will meet 97% of the needs of a healthy population of a defined age and gender, or AIs - the intake of a nutrient assumed to be adequate for a population of a defined age and gender.

While size can certainly influence nutrient needs, it typically isn't considered by the Institute of Medicine when determining nutrient requirements. What is considered is:

• Heath
    • Activity level (for some nutrients)
    • Type of diet followed (for some nutrients)

In the case of iron, what determines requirements is blood loss (either through donation or menstruation), activity level, and type of diet followed.

Let me know if this clears things up for you or if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer