Options

How do I get 100% targets on a vegan diet (with meal plans please)?

2»

Answers

• Options

B12 isn’t made by animals. It’s synthesized by bacteria and now even omnivores are now becoming deficient because of antibiotics. Vegans can get it from fortified tofu, cereal, or plant milks. Fortified foods are the best source of B12 for omnivores and vegans alike. But there are people who get it from a supplement where it comes from natural sources.

You can get docosahexaenoic acid from algae. But if not, your body can synthesize it from linoleic acid, which comes from other plants so you don’t need to eat it directly.

Heme iron is just iron made from animals. It tends to have carcinogenic effects on the body. Non heme iron is perfectly effective and if a person is eating a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet, they tend to have higher levels of iron in their blood than omnivores. So you don’t need to eat foods with heme iron.

Vitamin D can be synthesized by your body when you get sunshine. So you don’t need to eat D3 in your diet.

I’ll admit I wasn’t familiar with Taurine but I looked it up. It’s an amino acid but I didn’t recognize because it’s not an essential amino acid. So your body can make it, like you said. If your body is one of the few that doesn’t make taurine, you could always take the supplement, but most people don’t need to get taurine from their diet.

I actually am educated in nutrition and have to give nutritional education in a hospital setting seeing as my training is in nursing.

Where do you get your vitamin C?

• Options

Agree. Everyone needs to monitor B12....not only whole food plant based vegans. Omega 3 ia another challenge....I believe in meeting my nutritional needs with food, but have incorporated a vegan supplemental source.

• Options

Add Nutiva hemp protein powder, to your diet. Nutiva hemp oil is also useful for your omegas.. And Braggs Nutritional yeast is another essential..

• Options

Just wanted to mention that the discussion over B12 is silly. B12 comes from bacteria in the dirt. Humans used to get b12 when eating unwashed veg. from the dirt, or from an animal that eats the veg. that is in the dirt. Today, we wash our plants before eating them, and animals that are in factory farms do not get their food form plants in the ground.. they are supplemented as well... it is also supplemented into cereal, milk, etc... so you are still supplementing... what's the difference if it is done personally or if it is is done to your food before you eat it. Unfortunately most dirt is ruined due to the way we farm (think pesticides that kill the bacteria). The way we farm needs to change so we don't ruin the soil we grow our food in. Obviously, there are still people that eat animals/plants that are not factory farmed and the soil may still have the bacteria, but that is no longer the norm for a lot of the world. From nature is best, but the occasional supplement may be necessary. I am vegan and i do take b12, but so do my parents who do eat animal protein... they are still deficient. But I digress... the question was... suggestions for plant based protein... My vote is for lentils... it is a cheap source of protein and if you are adverse to trying certain other options at this time, you can add it to your 'normal' dishes and you won't really even notice it is there... Try this brand - TOLERANT Asian Ginger Riced red lentil pilaf... Great as a side or great to add to dishes. Mix with pasta, add a little soy and spices... get creative. Also:
    Humus
    Peanut Butter
    Another tip, though it is best to work towards eating it in it's whole form, if you are not eating a balanced enough diet, would be to blend up some vegetables (brocolli, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, etc) into a puree (look up how to do this) and freeze.... add to whatever food you make, especially sauces and smoothies...that way you can ensure you are getting nutrients you wouldn't normally choose to eat. This is great for anyone, not just vegans....

• Options

Iodine doesn't need to be supplemented. Seaweed contains it in massive amounts.
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthiest-natural-source-of-iodine/

K2 is also available on a vegan diet via fermented foods- natto, saurkraut, tempeh, and possibly others. Tempeh is commonly eaten by vegans. It's also not certain if K2 is really necessary since our bodies can make some of it. But it is availble on a vegan diet via fermented foods, which everyone should include.

B12 is from BACTERIA. Grain-fed animals commonly are supplemented with B12. Animals have it because they eat things where the bacteria that makes this are present. Cows might have some ability to make this on their own, but I think they are an exception, and soil in parts of the US, perhaps most, is devoid of the cobalt needed for them to make this intrinsically.

Vitamin D is from sunshine. I don't consider supplementing for sunshine in areas where you don't get enough sun as supplementing as oppose to..."I must eat these animals because they get a lot of sun".

You always have to ask yourself if the pros outweigh the cons. While animal protein is more readily absorbed and used by the body, for example, in many respects, it also spikes IGF-1, which can make cancer cells profilerate madly if your body wants to use it for that purpose. Is the risk worth it, or would you rather eat protein from plant-sources that will ultimately still complete the jobs necessary for your body to function?

• Options

Just a note on iodine - I'd stick with Nori on a regular basis as some of the other sources of seaweed contain excessive amounts; getting too much iodine can be just as harmful as not getting enough!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer