watermelon seeds, USDA

so i just bought some roasted watermelon seeds because their the highest seed, or one of, with methionine.....but their not like the watermelon seeds i get in a watermelon, they have a shell...

so i thought i'd tag @Susan_RD_101 ...and ask what the USDA entry for them refers too? i couldn't find any shelled watermelon seeds, so i'll have to figure out some conversion if that's the case.

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

Comments

• and by conversion, i mean. shell two ounces kernels and do some hard core 2nd grade math on the weight difference....

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Thanks for tagging me! Truthfully, I'm not sure why the seeds you bought would be different from the seeds inside a watermelon. My two thoughts are that 1) they are taken from the watermelon at a different stage of ripeness or 2) they come from a different species of watermelon.

I'll tag some of the team to see if they can provide insight:
    @Karen_Cronometer
    @Marie_Eve_H

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks for the response!

• Hi @bracconiere - looks like the USDA listing we have refers to dried kernels, not including a shell. This may account for the difference, especially if the ones you purchased were roasted in oil, or of a specific much larger or smaller variety.

The lab analysed listings use repeated analysis on a variety of samples of the food throughout the year to get an average value for each nutrient, or finds these values in peer-reviewed sources, so the listed weights might be a bit different.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer