Options

Protein requirements for an adult male

I had two questions:

1. Cronometer diary says that I have eaten 60.8 g of protein which equates to just 47% of what I need.

Is this accurate?

According to a few government sites I visited, a person should take in .36 grams of protein per pound. I weight 180 pounds, so in my case, that would mean I need 64.8 g of protein which I almost achieved today.

1. If the Cronometer diary values for total protein are inaccurate, would this mean that the values for the essential amino acids below it are also incorrect. So far, I'm only reaching about 50% of what I need, again according to Cronometer.

Thank you

Comments

• Options

Hello @TimC00k ,

The protein targets will depend on the macronutrient settings you have chosen in your Profile. The default (Fixed Targets) values are based on the Dietary Reference Intake values. If you have chosen a dynamic macronutrient target, your macro targets will be calculated based on reaching the specified ratio of macronutrients rather than fixed gram amounts and will take into account your energy needs for the day.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Hi @TimC00k

Just to add on to what @Karen_Cronometer said, the requirement for protein is 0.8 g per kg (I'm in Canada, so we like to work in kg; you can get to lbs by multiplying kg by 2.2) of IDEAL body weight per day. An "ideal body weight" is the weight that puts you at a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 kg/msq.

Protein needs will also be higher for someone who is physically active or currently engaged in a weight loss program (to preserve muscle mass).

This can be a confusing topic, so please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify. :smile:

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer