Going Keto!

2»

Comments

• Careful, it's not good for all body types. I lost a lot of weight, but gained 8 stents...

• edited March 2020

The damage to your cardiac arteries was happening decades before you went keto. Your “body type” didn’t have anything to do with it. The timing was coincidental. Across the world people are having phenomenal success at lowering CAC scores and other cardio markers with properly formulated, optimal protein Keto diets.

Now, if you were on a popular lower protein regimen suggested by some keto guru wannabes, then yes, you may have damaged your heart; not because of being keto, but because you followed a low protein diet. The heart is a muscle and needs protein support.

• Does that mean that once my stent work has healed (plavix for a year) that I can resume keto with a high fat diet?

• Go to Optimal Ketogenic Living (OKL) Facebook Page, founded by a terrific guy who researches Keto, Raymund Edwards, and ask that question. He helps a lot of people with medically crucial keto questions. He or his well trained admins will guide you to find your perfect keto macros and he will share info about healing supplements that are astounding in effectiveness. Give him in your initial question as much info as you have: lab work, height, weight, surgical procedure date, and meds.

• My cardiologist nor primary care know diddley-squat about nutrition as far as I can tell, Both are pill pushed* (*, big-pharma friendly). I am also concerned about the health of my circulatory system, hence my fear of fats.

Can eating a diet that would keep my body using ketones as fuel be "heart healthy"?

• Ketones are absolutely heart healthy! I decided to test the newest findings on fat ingestion and cholesterol lab test levels. I increased my fat ingestion to 110 grams (990 kcalories) per day for three days before my lab work while keeping my net carb intake below 20 grams (80 kcalories), with 125 grams (500 kcalories) protein. Weight loss stopped from the fact that my Calorie intake level exceeded my energy needs, but my cholesterol went dramatically DOWN! The doctor commented on the exceedingly lowered cholesterol and I told him what I had done. He said, “Well, of course we know now that it’s not fat ingestion that elevates cholesterol!” What he didn’t add was that we also know now that elevated cholesterol does not CAUSE heart problems but is the body’s attempt to put out the fires of inflammation in the body from any sources. Healthy fats such as MCT; grass-fed and finished butter, fatty meat, and cream; coconut, olive, and avocado oils and the like help put out those fires, too. Sugar and starch and manufactured polyunsaturated oils add both spark and fuel to those fires! The heart thrives on ketones!!! So does the brain.

• Whatever. The same thing doesn't work for everybody.

• edited January 2021

Not my plan....but I respect freedom of choice. My protocol is backed by research, data, and experience. But then each of us could probably say the same. I'm wishing everyone health and the ability to accomplish their goals...no matter what path they choose.

• I've done keto successfully in the past. My main advice would be to eat plenty of low carb vegetables. Don't go too high fat, just eating a sensible balanced diet with about 20 grams of carbs a day worked perfectly for me. Filling your plate up with veg instead of the pasta or rice or potato and then meat or fish as you please is really all there is to it. Don't concern yourself with fats, just do what feels right and forget all the fat is the work of the devil messaging we've been bombarded with.

Also don't be in a rush. It will work over time.

• Just watched Dr. Stephen Phinney's vids. Extremely helpful from a very credible source. He recommends 5g of Sodium per day but Cronometer ALWAYS goes into the RED when I'm over what the app considers 150% of my sodium , which is generally less than half that (2300-2400mg or 2.3 to 2.4g). I would have thought the crew at Cronometer would know this but, apparently not! :(

• Hi Aktorman,

Cronometer does not customize your micronutrient targets when you select a keto program for you macros. We recognize there are lots of recommendations out there! You can customize your target to any value you like!

To change your sodium target, click on it in the diary page or go to: Settings > Targets > Nutrient Targets > Minerals.
    Tick the option to use a custom value and enter in the number you would like to use :)

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks Karen. I appreciate your feedback. As I only discovered Dr. Phinney last night through this Forum, this is all new information to me. My frustration is due to the fact that, since beginning my Keto journey almost 3 months ago, I have experienced regular fatigue, weakness and poor sleep. I added sodium to my diet yesterday and I already feel better. The fact that Dr. Phinney appears to be one of the leading authorities on a Science-based Ketogenic Diet and his studies show that if you're on a Healthy Ketogenic Diet, you MUST increase your sodium intake as your kidneys are expelling sodium and potassium at a greater rate. This is science-based stuff, so I would have thought that any Cronometer Keto settings would take this into account. It does appear that if you limit your sodium to the "standard accepted" values( approx. 2000mg/day), you are likely decreasing your life expectancy and increasing your chance of heart attack. Thought I would share as I would hope you would not want your users to be potentially compromising their health. If nothing else, I would highly recommend you check out his article on Sodium and Ketosis here:
    https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function.

It does appear that this is pretty basic Keto protocol, hence my disappointment that I've spent almost 3 months ingesting less than HALF the sodium I should be and, as a result, feeling the ill-effects of it. Hindsight is 20/20 but your users should really know this. Thanks for your tips all the same. Coincidentally, this morning I switched back to my Custom settings and realized I could adjust my Sodium, Potassium and any other settings to be reflected in my daily Diary. I LOVE your App. It's simply incredible, but I would really recommend that, at the very least, users should have some advice regarding Sodium if they're choosing your Ketogenic settings at all. There really should be a default of 5000mg/day with the caveat, if you have heart disease or high blood pressure, that you consult your doctor before applying these settings.

• Thanks for your insights! I'll pass along your feedback for providing more diet support in Cronometer in the future. We strive to provide a great tool to help you improve your health.

Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or before embarking no any change in diet or exercise.

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• The salt rules are a bit nonsensical anyway. Even for the carb eaters, the restriction only applies to those with high blood pressure, which is less than 50% of us. Of those only 60% are actually salt sensitive - as in, their hypertension gets worse as salt goes up. They are the only group who benefits from salt restriction. 35% it makes not difference to, and the last 5% are reverse salt sensitive - their blood pressure goes down as sodium increases.

It is not a blanket thing we should all watch. For most people it makes no differences (or even harms them if they eat too little salt), and for a couple of people in 100, it's definitely harmful.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/salt-sensitivity-sorting-out-the-science

• you got it! good luck sister! im doing dr boz and official day one is tomorrow, so wish me luck? id love a keto tribe to connect with so hit me anytime please. be well , polly