Do vegans need more protein ?

I read from a vegan athlete Melody Schoenfeld that whatever is recommended for what you are doing as an omnivore a vegan should double the protein and also heard a vegan bodybuilder Robert Cheeke say that with vegan protein you should subtract 30% from the protein amount.

An interesting calculator . . .
How much protein do I need, and how do I get it from plants?
https://karinainkster.com/vegan-protein-calculator

The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self. - Charles Atlas.

Comments

• I don’t understand the logic of doubling protein for vegans. Perhaps it’s to ensure complete amino acids? If so, then a better approach, in my opinion, is to ensure more variety rather than more overall protein. Having more incomplete proteins won’t help.

Did this person explain the reasoning?

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

• I did some 100% vegan diet and used Cronometer to see the amino acids and they were even, maybe one had to be brought up to level. The people I mentioned didn't say why but I read this article . . .

Soy and wheat proteins helpful for building aging muscles, but not as potent as animal protein

https://physoc.org/news_article/soy-and-wheat-proteins-helpful-for-building-aging-muscles-but-not-as-potent-as-animal-protein/

The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self. - Charles Atlas.

• Thank you, Karen, that makes sense, though the recommendation to double seems a bit much.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

• My dietician said that as a vegan I should be eating 20% more protein. I guess the body has absorbing uncomplete proteins. So to offset that vegans should just eat a bit more.

The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

For weight loss and muscle gain the general recommendation is .5-.7 grams of protein per pound of body weight or 1.1-1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight.

So adding 20% would be 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, or .56 per pound. For weight loss and muscle gain .7-.9 grams of protein per pound.

I aim for 85-109 grams of protein. I have actually noticed a positive difference after upping it.

Before hand I was eating a little under the normal recommend amount and got very sick from it.