Custom recipe raw vs cooked weight

edited December 2020 in Help

Hi,

When cooking a pancake recipe, for example, the weight of my raw ingredients is 636g, but after cooking the end product weights 550g.

How do I create recipe based on raw ingredients but allow for a diary entry a 40g of “cooked” weight (which will be proportionate amount of all nutrients [636 / 550 * 40 to get weight of the “raw” full recipe])?

If I don’t have this calculation then custom recipe is useless for anything other than consuming whole recipe, recipes with no heat treatment (and subsequent reduction), or where recipe is evenly split into N parts.

Am I not seeing something here? Please help.

Best Answer

• Hi there,

There are a couple of options suggested by other users on the forums.

The quickest method is to define your recipe as serving based, rather than weight based and then enter in your portion of the recipe. For example, the recipe makes 6 servings and you ate 1 serving (1/6 the total recipe).

If you prefer to weigh your servings, there are 2 options. First, weigh the recipe before and after cooking.

Option 1: enter water as an ingredient to your recipe and enter in a negative value equal to the difference in weight before and after cooking.

Option 2: Add a weight based serving size to your recipe whose weight is equal to the final (cooked) weight of your recipe. When you add a serving to your diary, you can enter in a cooked weight of your serving (in grams) and the nutrients will be scaled appropriately using this serving size based on the ingredients added to the recipe.

I hope one of these will work well for you!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• Currently because of this I have to split out my own raw ingredient, even when cooking the same old recipes for the whole family

• exactly what I was looking for thanks. I was searching for recipe yields, hopefully this comment helps other people looking for yields to find these two solutions

Negative water mass seems the easiest given my usage history.

• I use my scale daily. I do prefer a weighed finished product option, especially for baked products.
    @denisdym
    For my sourdough waffles, I was able to add a single waffle (50 grams) as a second measurement option. I think that is like option 2 from @Karen_Cronometer above.

🇨🇦 Dee in BC