Search diary entries for food

13»

Comments

• @phreeksta

What is it? Where can I find it?

That's why it's useful to discuss things initially in a forum where more people can contribute ideas.

I'm also a developer and if I were to do this, I'd made a PWA, not an iOS app that excludes half the userbase and makes data entry a lot more clunky. Meteor.js also make hybrid apps, so you get the iOS, Android and web apps out of the same codebase. But if it's purely for personal use, then iOS only is fine. Though the existence of a Discord server suggests more than personal use?

Anyway, Cronometer should implement this rather than strange features.

• It's not really up to us to discuss. With 5M users 6 people are going to decide what everyone wants? I've never used this app on a phone. I'm baffled by people who don't even own a desktop; I use my notebook only when I travel. Everyone does things differently.

• Who is it up to? Apparently the Cronometer team has no clear mechanism to centralize feature requests.

• Because they don't want one. A guy wrote an app, he's making money on it. and he works on stuff he wants to work on. It's how small private companies operate.

• @Lector

My long answer got lost / or was deleted?! I don't know. Anyway I will keep it short.

I get your point, but I am an iOS-Dev, so I will do, what I can do best (maybe I will look into Mac apps). I don't plan to learn other tech / languages at the moment.

Though the existence of a Discord server suggests more than personal use?

I explained several times now, what I will do. So I won't get into it anymore. Bottom line - I will make an app for me, that helps me accomplish one thing, that is missing in Crono. If someone wants to use it too, fine, if none needs it .. also fine.

• @CalorieGuru

Because they don't want one. A guy wrote an app, he's making money on it. and he works on stuff he wants to work on. It's how small private companies operate.

That is not necessary true. It really depends on the company. In a way, it is totally legitimate to say as company, we do what we want. If you don't like it, just leave.
    But that isn't really smart in my opinion. I think most companies find a middle way, where they still do their thing, but also give the users the most requested features.

• Is there any update on the Search of dietary entries feature request? It has been requested by dozens of people for years. Thanks in advance for an update on this.

• Same, biggest missing feature in this project IMO.
    Does affect my willingness to keep using the product as I get tired of entering items again that I know are in the diary but don’t want to spend 10minutes scrolling through a month or two to find them.
    Honestly I don’t understand why this has not been implemented?

• edited January 2023

This would be a highly desirable feature. Individuals are creatures of habit and tend to eat a lot of the same things we've eaten before.

I was thinking a "Your Foods" tab on the "Add Food to Diary" dialog would be nice. I don't know what a better name for it would be, but it would be view of all the foods and recipes you have entered entered in the past, maybe sorted by most recent or most used. Searching this data subset would be much more efficient for the user.

• Any news on this feature?

As someone who has been using Cronometer quite a long time now I'm getting a bit fed up of the fact that basic features like this aren't getting implemented ahead of things like a relatively pointless UI overhaul which didn't really make it much better (and actually made some things worse, such as much less efficient use of screen space!).

As people have pointed out in this thread, this isn't a super complex feature to implement, in fact the most basic version of it has been described here by a programmer as a "1 pot of coffee project"! We're not asking for anything huge here, just something like a search box and a basic search output where we can click on an item and get taken to that diary entry (in fact I wouldn't even really mind if I couldn't click on items as long as it tells me what the date was so I can easily find it myself!).

Please Cronometer, listen to your long term users!

• @Sqsh Agree with you 100%. Core functionality should come before froo froo fluff.

• It's been another two years, and from what I can tell this feature still hasn't been added so I'll echo my request for it to be added.

I've been having to use Google Calendar as well, so I could easily make a list of how many times I actually ate a specific food.

• New to chronometer. Shocked to find I can't search my own diary. Case in point, had a use for seaweed a few weeks back. So many to choose from, but found one that seemed to fit the one I was using. Today I'm looking for foods with higher potassium. Bunch of seaweed suggestions come up. I think "Hey, I wonder how much was in that seaweed I had a few weeks back." Only problem: I CAN'T SEARCH MY OWN DIARY. So, scroll, scroll, scroll... instead of search box on my own data and "seaweed." And, searching again doesn't solve it because I want to find THE ONE I USED before. Are these people crazy? Why wouldn't you have that feature? AFTER SIX YEARS OF REQUESTS FROM YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS! Real simple solution. Start getting on social media and telling folks not to waste their time with an app that doesn't even have a search function for their own data. Makes you wonder how they're using your personal data if it's structured in such a way that it's impossible for them to provide a search function on it. I was excited about getting started with this app. Now I just have a bad feeling. And I just paid my Gold subscription yesterday ..... Big Bummer.

• Yes! 💯 this would be so helpful!

• Been using Cronometer gold for about a year and a half now. I would like to add my vote to PLEASE PRIORITIZE this new feature being added. We need to be able to search our diary entries to be able to consistently see how we're logging our food. Logging consistently is even MORE important than accuracy when it comes to hitting your aesthetic and fitness goals. Right now, I have to manually scroll through individual days, often looking through several weeks of entries to find the way I logged a certain restaurant or recipe. That shouldn't be the case. Please complete this in 2023!

• I need this as well in order to track how my glucose spikes correlate to what I'm eating. I need to be able to compare my food diary timeline to my continuous glucose monitor timeline to determine what foods impact me the most...,

I'd like to use Cronometer to do that...Would you like us to continue to use Cronometer or find an app that WILL allow that?

• +1 to this request. :smile:

I have caught myself expecting my recent selections to appear at the top of the search when I begin searching -- or perhaps better, in a separate tab called "Recent", similar to Favorites -- which would be perfect for my needs. Icing on this cake would be to set the default search tab (or behavior) as a user preference.

(As a side note: Like some above, I'm a developer. But I'm an old developer (lol) so I fully understand why some features take a while to get into a system. ;-) Cronometer does a really good job of keeping its products tight and functional. Keep up the good work.)

• Some features are available on one platform, but not the next. The Android app lets you choose from "Most Frequent" or "Most Recent" or alphabetical. I don't see that in the Windows PC browser app. Bringing these features to all platforms would be great.

It would be an added bonus if the "Most Recent" and "Most Frequent" lists could be optionally based on the current group if you have preselected a group prior to adding food.

• How is this such a hard feature to add? Simply add all diary entries to elasticsearch and then search it...

• Thanks for the tip but ridiculous that we need to resort to such lengths.
    UI overhaul, what a waste of time.
    How about adding some core functionality like this feature?
    It blows my mind this is still not implemented.
    UI might attract some new users, but core features like this is what will retain them. After a few months it becomes a big problem to not be able to search my own data. Why should I put it in there if I can’t use it properly?

• In the absence of a feature request ranking method (also something that would be really useful to this forum), note that this feature has the highest views and comments of any feature request.
    I would put forward it is therefore the number 1 requested feature from the user base?

Any comment from Cronometer?

• I just wanted to share my own workaround, although I agree that we shouldn't have to use inconvenient workarounds to achieve what should be a fairly simple thing!

I use the export function to view the data in Google Sheets, where I can easily search for an item as well as perform various other tasks that are difficult to do within Cronometer itself.

Of course, if we could just do this directly in the app that would be much more straightforward, plus it would make it easier to do things like edit past entries (something I occasionally do when I've created a custom food to replace something I have entered in the past, or where I've realised with hindsight that the measurement in the app didn't accurately reflect the actual measurement of the food (e.g. the weight of a "medium" item of food was different to what I would consider medium).

• Thanks Sqsh. That is a great suggestion. I had been using the PRINT REPORT function, then searching the report to accomplish the same. I did not know there was an export function. Your solution works better.

For others that didn't know, the export function in the PC dashboard is found under SETTINGS > ACCOUNT. On that page under the ACCOUNT GROUP section click on EXPORT DATA. That will bring up a popup dialog where you can choose the time periods and a number of options. To get the list of diary entries, select the EXPORT FOOD & RECIPE ENTRIES button.

That will download a CSV file that can be opened in a spreadsheet. It contains the diary entries as well as all the nutrition values for each item.

(I found a new feature while looking for the export function. I had never noticed the REPEAT ITEMS feature, which is great for entering pills & supplements on your schedule.)

• Firstly - I appreciate these posted workarounds so the next comment is not a criticism of these in any way.
    I enter 99% of my stuff via the app through either my phone or iPad and there is no export feature there.
    Just last night dinner was the same as a couple of weeks ago and I found myself scrolling through days to try and find it when I could just search “salmon” and would have found it immediately “IF” a Diary search feature existed.

• +1 for adding this feature, it's something I've definitely felt the lack of. I wasn't able to weigh a food today, but I know I've had it in similar quantities in the past so I could ball park it, if only I could find them. I'll use the export work around for now.

• Please implement this, we need it!

• +1 for adding the feature to search diary entries for food. Scrolling through dates manually scanning is time consuming.

• Encountered another time a search would be useful.. I know at some point I found a db entry of these noodles I eat, but I cannot remember the name. If I could research my diary for "noodles" and see all matches it would help me use the same one again and be consistent. In future I will 'favourite' the noodles but I need to be able to find them again first lol