Cassava Bread?

edited December 2017 in General Discussion

I thought I had made a great Keto discovery of a low carb bread when I bought 2 "loafs" of "Madame Gougousse Super Especial Cassava Bread". It lists it's country of origin as the Dominican Republic and total carbohydrates as 44 mg. (less than a gram) in a 60 g serving.

Sounds too good to be true, but the listed fat is zero and the protein is just 1 g, so I assumed that this was just fiber and not much more. It sure tasted that way, but also very good with pesto on it. Something was just not adding up. I kept coming back to the 183 calories per serving. I guess the labeling laws in the DR are not up to par with those in the US because this is just plain bass-akwards.

Anyhow I don't have firm answers but my blood sugar is up to 116 from a small piece I ate about an hour ago.

Looks like my dream food is not what I had hope it was going to be. Looks like I bought as high carb a food as one could find. :-) Oh well, live and learn.

Joe Tittiger
Seymour MO
joe ATT Tittiger DOTT com

Comments

• Photos are sure not posting... any one else have this problem?

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Cassava is a starch so I highly doubt cassava bread would be low carb! It's possible that they scale the serving size down to one bite to make it sound low everything. I don't know enough about Dominican Republic labels, but in Australia there's always a nutrition information per 100g so food companies can't cheat.

• edited December 2017

IF the photos would work here I would show you a pic!
    Here we go. Only took 2 days to figure it out

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Ah, I think I see what it is for the carb part. It looks like a typo; they'd intended to type "gm" instead of "mg". 44g of carbs per 60g serving sounds more realistic. You're probably better off eating it as a treat on a carb refeed day if you have one.

Do they have an ingredients list?

• Thanks Vickie. I think that you are correct.

Actually that is not too bad for what I think would be a very large piece of this bread.... I just weighed a piece and it was 100 grams with 73g of carbs. Not as bad as it seems IF you wanted to spend a few carbs on this bread and some Pesto on it. I imagine say 1/4 of a piece or 18g of carbs would be very filling and not too bad if you are not overly insulin resistant. I will store this away for another blood sugar experiment like I am planning to do with Lupini beans.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GBSEL4A/

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Hello,

I concur with @Vickie ! Definitely a labeling error as it appears to contain 44 g of CHO (15% their recommended target). This is actually quite high for a bread, as most breads typically contain 15-20 g of total CHO per slice (which may explain your blood sugar reading).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks Susan. It's a small world my daughter just left Logan Square after 4 years in Chicago.

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Here in this part of the world they eat a lot of casava. I used to eat it occasionally. But since starting the ketogenic diet, I have discovered that eating casava starch spikes my glucose very high. So for now, I have removed it from my diet. That's why this program and Cronometer is so great. It makes discovering what works, and what doesn't easier. But you have to do the tracking to discover the connections. Thanks to all of you who help out here in the forums. Thank you.