Help Us Improve Cronometer

Hi Everyone,

We are conducting some user research and are currently looking for people to participate in a 1 to 1.5 hour interview with members of the team. We would love to talk to you or someone you know about Cronometer so we can learn what we can do to make your experience with the app even better. We also value your time and input, so we are offering a $100 Amazon Gift Card to anyone who is selected and completes the interview. Here is what we are looking for:

Option 1: You are currently using the app and have never upgraded to Gold

If that is you, and you’re interested in talking to us, follow this link to a brief questionnaire that will tell us a little bit more about you. Once you submit it, someone from the team will be in touch to schedule an interview if you are selected.

https://www.surveymonkey.ca/r/CRONCustomer

Option 2: You are interested in health and nutrition and tracking your diet and nutrition, but never used Cronometer before.

Wait what? Isn’t this the wrong place to find people who never used Cronometer? I realize that everyone here is already using the app, but we are asking you to share the following link with someone you know that might be happy using Cronometer to track their data. If we select someone you referred to us and they complete the interview, then you will get a $25 Amazon Gift Card, and they'll get a gift card as well, so share the love! Here is the link to use. Again, it goes to a slightly different questionnaire that will tell us about who we will be speaking to.

https://www.surveymonkey.ca/r/CRONProspective

This is a limited time offer, so as soon as we have enough people scheduled we will close things down. We really appreciate all the support you have given us over the years. We couldn’t have made it to where we are today without you!

Hope to talk with you soon.

Spencer

Spencer D.
cronometer.com
As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Comments

• Would you post here when you have enough people, so that we stop sharing the link? Thanks!

• I'd love to have heme and non-heme iron separated. It affects the absorption rate, so this would be very helpful in setting my own targets. Eight mg isn't enough when it's 100% from plant sources. Where can I communicate that request to the appropriate people?

• Hi Moonmutt,

Thanks for the suggestion! It would be great to break down iron into heme and non-heme sources.

In general, the nutrient values in foods do not take into account absorption rates. This would depend not only on the food itself, but other foods you are eating with it. For example, vitamin C can enhance the absorption of non-heme iron if eaten at the same time.

Instead, the absorption of nutrients in taken into account when setting the nutrient targets, to make sure that we get enough in a mixed diet, even though absorption is not 100% of intake.

You can post feature requests in this thread: https://forums.cronometer.com/categories/feature-requests

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Excellent information from Dr Mercola - thank you! Follow the advice given is expensive, not only the food, but high quality Mercola supplements. As I now purchase Mercola supplements, I would like get free Gold Cronometer services. Thanks for your consideration.

• edited August 2018

Hi guys new user here and I have a couple questions. first off, I heard that putting mushrooms in the sun for as little as 20 minutes greatly increase its vitamin D content. Is this true? if so how much and can u incorporate that into the program? I have a hard time getting any vitamin D on my vegan diet. secondly would it be possible to create a dish like vegan chilli for example and save it to favorites so that way I could directly enter the dish in its entirety rather then enter all of the contents one after another? its hard to accurately guess the contents in my chilli when I batch cook it in a crook pot with two people eating from it when I just grab a bowl of chilli from the crook pot. thank you for your time

• i think @vegan_steve 's post belongs in "Begin Here" not this thread, but i'll tell him what i know.

if you can dig around on google and get a good estimate of how much sunlight increases mushroom vit d content, there's a way to create a custom food, i'd copy the normal mushroom, then modify the D content...but i thought it was UV light specifically and not just sunlight..and i don't know if they increase after harvest..

as far as your chili goes, same thing...there's a way to create a new Recipe, and all the ingredients to it, and set up serving sizes..when i was eating a lot of bean soup, i'd use the semi-disposable plastic dishes and portion it out and freeze them...but you could just, throw it on the scale? as long as the water was included in the recipe.

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• The custom recipe is one of my favorite parts of Cronometer, because it does give you a level of control over the serving sizes and gives you a really good breakdown of the macro and micronutrients. I do this same process often. I'll make a dish, like a casserole or something. Then I'll divide it up into x number of portions. When it asks me for servings, I usually will tell it how many servings Id like to get, and it will tell me the weight of each serving and the macro/micro breakdown. I can then adjust the serving sizes if I need to.

--
    Tim

• @vegan_steve

It's difficult to get enough vitamin D from food (regardless of type of diet followed) and the mushroom method you suggested would produce very unreliable amounts of vitamin D.

I encourage all vegans to take a supplement of 2000 IU per day. Alternatively, you can expose your skin to UV light for 1/2 the time it takes to turn it pink, recognizing that could coverage, smog, clothing, sunscreen, age, time of day, time of year, etc. can all reduce production of this essential nutrient.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• I won't qualify for the survey...but here's a suggestion to improve: 1) I'd like a meal planner option...ie If I'm have ABC for supper...this is what the macros would look like. and 2) If there was a larger and more visible water icon.

Thanks,

Susan

• I have made a custom vitamin D supplement called 'sunlight'. As just being outside does the trick, and I feel that it could well be added as a standard in 'supplements'
    AND
    I pick and dry many kinds of wild mushrooms, I always put them in the sun to dry because of the vitamin D and I also agree with the trick of putting your storebought mushrooms in the sun to increase the vitamin D content.
    perhaps we should just add that to custom foods?

• I would love to see a table of anti-oxidants and pro-oxidants and phytonutrients in cronometer, this is a very interesting area of nutrition. There is so much information online but no food app makes use of this. I'd love to see it here

• @lizzyagatha entering a custom food for your mushrooms is the way to go if you have an estimate of the vitamin D in your mushrooms.

We also have a few foods in our database, if they are similar to commercially available types.

Check these out:

I like your antioxidant idea! Sometimes it depends on the dose whether a nutrient or compound is anti- or pro-. It would be a fun project to incorporate more phytonutrients. We do have an Antioxidant Nutrition Score that summarizes the antioxidant nutrients we do have, if you are interested in checking that out - send me a message!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• very interested, this is a fascinating field in nutrition