no oil WFPB diet

Are their people here following a no oil (added) whole food plant based diet such as Caldwell Esselstyn's or China Study diet?

Comments

• @StephenE

I personally eat a WFPB diet without added oil 80% of the time... I'm still plant-based the other 20% of the time, but allow for some of my favourite indulgences like Nanaimo bars, ice cream, and burgers. :smiley:

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Don't think 80% works. It sure is a step in the right direction though. I'm just starting (2 months in), but so far so good.

• Congratulations! Are you practicing OMAT (one meal a day) or IF (intermittent fasting) to maintain your 1000 calories a day? UWL means ultimate weight loss and is a program encouraged by Chef AJ (she is the chef for most of the well known plant based doctors). Basically it just means you are eating veggies, fruits, whole grains incorporating starch (i.e,.potatoes/rice) for satiety. No oil, salt, or sugar is used. Wow...60 pounds. You are fierce and even though I haven't calorie restricted, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what works for you. That is what brought me here. What and when are you eating daily? Hang in there! :p

• Actually, I have recently gone down to less than 700 daily. Breakfast is 100 grams banana, Tbl ground flax seed, 20 grams All-bran cereal and 100-120 grams unsweetened Silk almond milk. Lunch is 100 grams microwave steamed fresh broccoli or cauliflower. Dinner is 300-350 grams of portobella mushrooms sauted with basalmic vinegar 0r a big salad of onion, tomato, cucumber, and iceberg lettuce with 1/2 cup Maple Grove sugar-free raspberry dressing. I am 74 very sedentary male but having very great success with foregoing. Tell me what you eat.

• I have frozen "black bean soup" from fatfreevegan blog bagged in the freezer from a couple of months ago. So good I don't dare thaw because it is too tempting. My treat now is single serving cauliflower thrown in microwave for 6.5 minutes several times each evening. Dailly total still under 700.

• Thanks....I take an excellent multi, additional B and D. I always look to food/herbs as my medicine but will supplement depending on what is needed.

• Susan, I have been using One-A-Day Men's +50 daily, however, they seem to have very high levels of some vitamins. After some research, I am thinking I might switch to Megafood Mens +. Are you familiar, and can you offer suggestion(s)?

• Yes! I am WFPB no oil and no sugar.

• vegan_af
    What do your meals look like? I love being WFPB!

• @StephenE

Mega Foods is a pretty good brand; I'd be happy with that one. I'm also a big fan of DEVA as it has a very complete profile and the amount of iron is good for women and athletes. Mega Foods for men doesn't have any iron which is fine, provided your levels are good. :)

http://www.devanutrition.com/vegan-multivitamin-mineral.html

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• Thanks for the info. I will compare the two.

• actually there is research showing that quick weight loss is better at preserving the tone of your skin than slow "dieting"....check out Dr. Jason Fung, an entomologist in Canada. Old science = slow weight loss will result in less loose skin

• watched one of his vid's on diabetes, Jason Fung is LCHF.

he's definitely not Esselstyn...

I just use cron-o-meter to make sure i get all my vitamin, minerals, amino acids and lipids (3's-6's)...seems like it easier to do eating rice, beans, sunflower seeds, and flax...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• edited August 2018

I don't follow Dr. Fung's keto diet as I eat HCLF (lots of greens and low glycemic fruit), but I do subscribe to his research on intermittent fasting/OMAT which leads to quick weight loss and healthy skin tone as well as autophagy,....very healthy and many people are no longer type 2 diabetics, I also think Valter Longo is another source of good information and have considered his expensive fasting program.

• Phoenix4life,
    Dr. Longo's FMD is expensive if you purchase the Prolon package but you can easily do that yourself with fresh food. Cronometer is necessary, the rules are minimal like 100 kCal 1st day, 750 kCal from day 2 to 5, macros 45-45-10, vegan food only, vegetables, healthy fats(EVOO, olives, nuts), no fruits no sugar no or minimal cereals.
    This is one of the applications where cronometer is a real game-changer.

• In case anyone is interested, I wrote a post on intermittent fasting:

https://cronometer.com/blog/intermittent-fasting-and-weight-loss/

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• I’m WFPB and new to Cronometer. I’ve been using MFP for years. Hi everyone. This is going to take some getting used to.

• I'm WFPB+ No Oil too and just started using Cronometer to keep an eye out of interest really to see how many calories I'm eating. Also a fan of Chef AJ. I'm suprised that with all the exercise I'm doing I stil can only eat 1000 calories a day to lose 1lb a week? Are my settings incorrect? I remember years ago losing weight eating 1000 cals a day and that was with zero exercise..!?!?

• edited October 2018

figuring that a normal weight sedentary female burns something like 1800 a day. i'd say that sounds low to me too.

remember that only time will tell what you actually are burning, these are just estimates. weigh yourself every morning before consuming anything, log it, log what you eat. and given a few months that will tell you what is right 'for you'...3500 cals a pound, some basic division...crony-o-meter(lol, spell check, i had too) tells me i burned 2096 cals...i know for a fact just sitting on the couch and anything less than 2820, i lose weight according to the 3500 cals a pound formula

and i can't 'stress' enough. get it? that the AVG is what matters, if you eat 4000 cals in one day but the monthly daily avg is 1000, the scale will drop just the same....

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Can anyone help me check my settings? It's pretty unmotivating to see such a low total goal! I couldn't exercise this morning and after breakfast I have 654 cals left for the entire day which seems way too low. :(

• post them i'm sure you'd get help from someone, we like helping friends here! :)

• @aquabluebabe

I'm guessing from the calculation that you are probably a smaller person? I don't think you should eat less than 1200-1300 kcal per day as doing so could have a negative impact on your metabolism, is likely very unsustainable, and won't leave you feeling energized for workouts. Keep in mind that the less you have to lose, the longer it will take.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• edited October 2018

@Susan_RD_101
    Nope, I am 165cm tall and currently weight 73kg. Definitely not small! :)