Low Carb, High Healthy Fat or Protein, Low Calorie Foods

Any suggestions? I'm new here. I'm realizing I have a very heavy carb diet, and I'm trying to change that by eating food with more healthy fats and protein (preferably not animal-based protein).

Low calorie is also a preference, but I realize if something has a higher calorie count that doesn't necessarily make it bad for you, just something to eat in moderation. I'm realizing even my fruits and veggies pack a decent carb count, which kind of sucks. Trying to find a happy medium where I'm still getting those in without piling on the carbs.

Thanks in advance if you have suggestions!

Comments

• I'd say Sunflower seeds are good, a lot of vitamin e also. flax seeds, but any source of fat is coming into you with 9 cals a gram....so it's hard to get both low calorie, and high 'healthy fats'...

nutritiondata.com's search allows you to search for foods highest in, and lowest in at the same time. maybe that should be a feature request...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• I would say unless you have a health related issue, probably just eating cleaner is going to make a world of difference. Avoid heavily processed or refined foods. Eat more whole foods - lean meats, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, maybe even whole grains and legumes. Most cleaner diets are inherently lower carb, unless you're eating a lot of starchy veggies. If it were me, Id just eat clean, whole foods for a week or two, and see where your numbers end up before going crazy with macro targets.

--
    Tim

• High healthy fat and low calorie sound mutually exclusive to me. Plant-based protein tends to be high in starch and not low net carb... I think there are a few vegan keto threads on here. They might be useful to you. (I'm neither vegan nor keto so I haven't read them.)

• Actually I remember this answer by @Susan_RD_101: https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/comment/4940/#Comment_4940. A good list of suggestions at the bottom.

• Macros are all the buzz right now but it's truly your total calorie intake that matters the most when it comes to losing weight.

If you're hoping to eat more plant-based, I would focus on planning your meals around protein - tofu, tempeh, edamame, beans, lentils, seitan, etc. Then include plenty of raw and cooked vegetables. You can leave out grains if you want, but if you do include them, try to have a smaller portion vs. what you have for protein.

Also, I'd suggest adding more whole food sources of fats (avocado, nuts, seeds, etc.) and limiting oils as these can cause people's calories to sneak up without them noticing.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer