Agar Agar

edited September 2018 in General Nutrition

I recently noticed in a recipe that they use someting named "Agar Agar". It's a white powder. It looks like it's a natural gelling agent made from seaweed. And the Google says it's healthy. :)
I search it here on Cronometer but I'm not sure which is the right one. When I type "agar agar" I get 2 results (I only use NCCDB): "Seaweed, agar, dried" and "Seaweed, agar, raw". Is this what I'm looking for ? And which is that Agar that is in the form of a powder, the "dried" one ? Then what is the "raw" version, it's the raw seeaweed taken from the ocean ? Is there anyone who can eat that?

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

Comments

• The results are from USDA. My mistake !

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• edited September 2018

as far as i know some people DO eat seaweed for iodine?

10g's of the raw item has 9g's water...the dried 10g's has .8 so i would assume the gelling powder would be the dried...

i think they refer to seaweed as 'sea vegetables'....? don't quote me on that though...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Hi Marus,

These foods are a type of seaweed. The raw version gives the nutrient values for the non-dried, non-cooked seaweed. The dried version gives the nutrient values for the seaweed dried, but I do not think this is the same as the purified powder.

We don't have a complete nutrient profile for agar powder from USDA or NCCDB, but there are a few brand name products in our database for Agar Agar or Agar Powder, to get you started.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer