Trouble with Macro nutrition targets

I’m new to this forum and pretty inexperienced with tracking nutrition.

I am having a really hard time reaching my suggested macro targets. Specially proteins.

chronometer has suggested:

Protein 25%

carb 40%

fat 35%

is 25% protein correct? It seems really high to me? It is way over the general recommendation of .8g/kg

I am 170 pounds. 6’ tall. Trying to roughly maintain weight or gain some muscle mass. I am pretty active. I cycle 3 times a week and workout with weights 2-3 times a week.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

@Gigageek

Assuming you are following a mixed diet, I'd set your protein needs around 1.2 - 1.4 g per kg of body weight given your current level of activity and your desire to gain muscle mass (~95-110 g).

Professionally, I'm not a huge fan of macronutrient counting and prefer to focus on intakes of individual nutrients and calories.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• edited July 2019

my two cents would be...macro 'ratios' are non-sense, look at the amino acid breakdown and make sure their all 150% plus...and fat, just make sure to get your omega-3's, and omega 6's....i do shoot for the upper limit on omega-3's, being that i get all mine from flax seeds, and ALA is poorly converted

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Thanks for the reply @Susan_RD_101

as I mentioned earlier I am new to nutrition tracking. I really sorry if my questions are too basic. I really don’t know what I’m doing.

how should I set up Cronometer to reflect the values that you suggest? Set macronutrients targets to fixed values:

protein- 107g

Carbs -?

fat-?

• @Gigageek

Don't apologize :)! It's better to ask the questions here then to try find answers through Google! I'd keep the ratios to fixed but click on the individual nutrient in your diary to set a custom target for protein.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer