after 8:00 pm eating

i work as an accountant and i can work up to 14 hours a day. my biggest challenge is eating healthy at night. dense protein like a steak is too much to stomach at that time of night. sadly, my go to has been a bowl of pasta at 8 or 9:00PM. thus my weight can swing 50 pounds a year - up 25 pounds during tax season and then down 25 pounds after. looking to avoid that and just keep it off.

Comments

• I would recommend just stop eating at that time if a meal with protein that you won't overeat is too much for you to digest at night. Bring prepared meals with you on the job so that you can eat a balanced diet with protein throughout the day, and if you are still hungry near night time, eat some fruit or vegetables instead of the pasta so that you get full easier and don't overeat.

• @dougm

The way we eat at night can often be linked to how we eat earlier in the day. Our bodies like to eat a certain volume of food, as well as calorie range. If we're in a deficit by the time night rolls around, our brains starting send signals to eat.

If someone is stressed and tired, food choices tend to be what's readily available and most-convenient.

I'd suggest meal prepping some options that you can store in your freezer for when you get home for work. Soups, stews, and chilis work great. Also, be sure to have enough food earlier in the day so your hunger isn't overwhelming at night.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Susan_RD_101
    thank you. its rather frustrating burning it all off and then putting it all back on for 30 years.

• edited July 11

Like you, I don’t like to eat at night - my last meal is usually at 3:00 or 4:00. I’ve found that a scoop of casein powder mixed in water at 6:00 or 7:00 followed by a cup of herbal tea works well for me. Casein is (relatively) slow to digest and keeps me satiated until morning.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

• @dougm

I empathize with you... Keep in mind that long-term weight loss requires a way of eating and exercising that is enjoyable. Also, the food and restaurant industry don't really care if people lose weight and use a lot of science to keep us eating beyond the point of fullness.

cronometer.com

• You could try stir-fried zucchini noodles a lower carb option and pesto sauce with some asiago cheese. You can buy the noodles or make your own. You'll get that pasta-like experience. Or you could have a small portion of pasta with vegetables and sauce. I would then try fasting from the time of the last meal at 8 or 9 until 12 noon the following day drinking only water or coffee or tea in the morning with a bit of cream, milk or oat milk, if you need it. No sugar. In this way you control blood sugar levels, insulin, and use intermittent fasting to simply restrict the eating window to 8 hours. Night shift is a challenge for sure, Try not to stay up too late as you'll be tempted to snack. Go for a walk and try a late night yoga routine to wind down. Sleep is important and keeping stress levels down. Darkened room with earplugs if necessary. Water with Natural Calm (magnesium) before bedtime. With a restricted eating window on most days you can also have some feasts on social occasions. Cauliflower rice in a stir fry is also a low carb option.

• p0wer_lifter i'm impressed by the slow digestive properties of caesin. gonna look some up.

• I suggest figuring out how to allow yourself to have that pasta, rather than trying to figure out how to avoid it. Personally I don't see any problem with a bowl of pasta at 8 or 9 pm (or any time of day for that matter), as long as it fits within everything else you eat during the day.

I personally really do not like going to bed hungry. And I'm like you -- at the end of the day I like to relax into food. I have come to learn, over the years, that I am going to eat late. Techniques to stop myself from doing so ultimately result in falling off the wagon ("this is too hard" / "this sucks" / "I feel bad about myself that I caved").

What I have also learned about myself is that I am able to endure being hungry in the morning. So when I am cutting weight I will (usually) skip breakfast, and then leave room during the day for the end-of-day "feast". Sometimes I will log what I expect to eat in the evening in the morning -- then plan my day around that.

Good luck. Keep sharing how it goes for you.

• Guess it depends on your schedule. Generally I have worked nights most of my life and I don't want to get up to eat and go back to sleep. Personally, I think if you work 9 to 5, you shouldn't eat past 7:30. If you want to eat some non-carbs, a yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese is nice.

• One thing I would add is that for anyone athletic, having food prior to bed is pretty important (since a lot of recovery will be occurring though the night). I personally usually eat some fruit wither either a protein bar, some nuts, or a lentil-based baked good.

cronometer.com