Paste at Current Timestamp

This is something that would be a benefit for gold members. Currently when you paste a food from another day, it also copies over that day's time. It would be nice to have an option to also paste at the current timestamp so you don't have to go back and edit it.

Comments

• I would add in the ability to see date/time so that you know when something happened. I've connected my FitBit and would like to see when an entry was made so that I can tie it back to specific exercise. For example, if I walk the same course three times in a day, my stats for each may be different due to level of effort and other factors.

• I'm not sure if it's just Fitbit, but with my Garmin activities get logged at a specific timestamp of when I started, as long as I l log it as an activity with my watch. The rest get put in "Daily Activity" without a timestamp which makes sense as it's just calories from moving about during the day.

I've not tried doing the same activity twice in as single day, though. I may test that at some point soon.

• I would also love this. My most common use for paste is to take dinner from the night before as leftovers for lunch or dinner the following day. I'd be fine with just changing the paste behavior to always be when you paste it, but if some people like keeping the old time, then maybe there can be an option at the time of pasting or a global setting.

1. I wouldn't use the date/time of when the users pastes the change given that I myself have copied/pasted things in the morning for later in the day and later in the day for something that happened earlier.

2. Showing the date/time would help in identifying when an entry from an external device is being duplicated in error. I'm currently thinking that some of the entries from Fitbit are being duplicated. However, I'm not able to prove it due to lack of information within Cronometer.

• I also came here to report this issue. Copy/paste from one day to another also copying the time-of-day over is not the behavior I expected at all.

• I hear your pain point here, and have passed along your feedback for review.

We did add an option to change the time stamp of a whole diary group, or selection of foods to help with this. On the website, click on a diary group, or hold the shift key and click items you would like to include. Then right-click on the selected group or items to add a timestamp to the selected items. That way you don't have to change them all one-by-one.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Currently when you paste a food from another day, it also copies over that day's time. It would be nice to have an option to also paste at the current timestamp

Let's call this what it is: pasting a food and inheriting its timestamp is a bug :) There's just no use case to prefer that old timestamp over when you pasted. The chance that old timestamp was correct is literally 1 / (24 * 60).

Pasting with the timestamp from where the foods were copied, is a bug that has been reported since 2019.

Cronometer team, please, this is really a trivial fix. I don't know what priorities you guys have, but fixing this is one line of code, or at most two, if there isn't a loop already to process all pasted items. I'm beyond curious as to how this hasn't gotten fixed since 2019.

Also, it's really annoying that the search feature of this forum is so poor that when you look for "paste timestamp", you find nothing.

• This is one of the biggest pain points for me when using the app right now. Even without using timestamps, if I copy a bunch of food from a previous day it mixes them all up vs. appending them to the end of what I already have in there (which is what I expect and what the app used to do).

For example, let's say I have entered in the following foods for today:

A
    B
    C
    D

If I go to a previous day and copy foods D, E, and F to today this is what happens:

A
    D
    B
    E
    F
    C
    D

This is especially annoying when I have something like this:

Oatmeal
    Apples
    Blueberries
    [ .. other stuff ..]

Then I copy a bunch of stuff including apples from the previous day, the app will do this:

Oatmeal
    Apples
    Apples
    Blueberries
    [ .. other stuff ..]

This makes it pretty confusing to figure out which entry is which. Also, if I mistakenly copy stuff over, it's a real pain to go through and remove the pasted entries because they get mixed in with the other foods I've already entered in today.

Every pain point like this only makes the app harder to use which in turn makes it harder to keep on track with this stuff. Please fix this!

• Looks like I messed up my first example. If I have entered the following foods for today:

A
    B
    C
    D

And then I copy foods E, F, and G from a previous day, this is how it gets pasted:

A
    E
    B
    C
    F
    G
    D

Completely out of order.

This is what I expect to happen:

A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G

After giving this some more thought, I seem to recall that when timestamps were first released I enabled them right away because I thought that would be a handy thing to track. I noticed right away that they were being copied over so I disabled them again as that got annoying real fast. This bug appears to have been there since the beginning of the timestamp feature.

It looks like there is some sort of underlying order being preserved during copy/paste regardless of timestamp. An entry gets pasted in the same incorrect order whether it has a timestamp field on it or not. I'm almost sure this wasn't the case before and that this started right around when timestamps were released.

I've tested this on both a fully updated iPhone 12 Mini and a Google Pixel 3a (Android 11).

• Apple Health and Cronometer integration. seem to get screwy with mass editing of time stamps, though I haven't done the work to try again lately. My last round was with exploding a recipe.

Basically I need to do this in the morning so I don't have to review and perhaps even redo an entire of day of entries. I have other app Integrations with Health that use a few nutrition values. Plus, dirty date makes me itch.

At any rate, time stamps matter a lot to me because I am tracking for a health issue.

At the moment, I use a work around of logging out of iOS app, picking up the entries I want to repeat and tweak on iPadOS or the web, getting them logged, and then relogging into iOS. It sucks.